2.8

Charlie's POV

We pulled our rental car into the driveway at Rich and Jodie's house and suddenly this rush of regret came over me. I shouldn't be staying here. I wanted nothing to do with Austin and I'm sure his Dad and Jodie were going to try to talk to me about him. It's not that I resented them, but they were just going to bring up this well of emotions that I wasn't quite ready to deal with yet. I feel like the whole moving on from Austin thing was still in the beginning stages. I was still thinking and acting impulsively and I don't think I was quite prepared to be staying in the house with his parents.

"Are you okay honey?" my Mom said turning around and looking at me.

"Yeah I guess. Listen, I already made plans with some of my friends down here. I don't want to be rude or anything but I think I'm just going to drop off my stuff, say my quick hello's and walk over to Allen's house" I said reaching over and unhooking a sleeping Austy from his carseat.

"You have plans so soon? Don't you want to freshen up or anything from the flight?" my Mom asked. I could tell that she was concerned, I was highly unpredictable as of late, but her concerns didn't bother me in the slightest nor did I care.

"No I'll be fine" I said, scooping Austy into my arms and quickly walking towards their front door.

I knocked quickly, swaying back and forth to make sure that little Austin wouldn't wake up. It didn't take long before I was greeted with an overly happy Jodie as she wrapped me and little Austin in a warm hug. I did all I could to hold back the tears, Jodie being the only contact I had with Austin for months. I closed my eyes and returned the hug the best I could.

"Hi Jodie, do you have a place I can lay him down?" I asked as I stepped into the house.

"Oh absolutely honey, this way" she said as she walked into the living room and laid several blankets on the floor to give him a comfortable spot to lay.

"It is so nice to see you. How has everything been?" she asked me.

"It's been okay you know getting along" I laughed feeling like she was looking for more than what I was giving her.

"That's good," she said, everything suddenly becoming awkward between us.

"Here Dad, let me help you," I said, eager to get away from the awkward conversation as I grabbed my bag and little Austin's bag from his hands.

"Let me go show you guys where you will  be sleeping. Charlie, is he going to be okay there?" she asked me as she looked back at little Austin on the floor.

"Yes, he'll be okay" I said, not able to hide the smile that was coming across my face at how worried she was about her Grandson.

"Carly you and Tim are going to be in here" she said pointing to the guest room I was supposed to have years ago when I came down to visit Austin. Thinking back if I hadn't decided to go to Austin's room that night, maybe I wouldn't have little Austin and I wouldn't still be helplessly in love with him.

"This is perfect Jodie thank you" my mom said as she made her way in, quickly laying the bags down on the bed.

I felt my heart pound in my chest as I realized where Jodie was taking me and little Austin to sleep. Sure enough we approached the room I knew all too well as she slowly pushed the door open. It looked just as it had all those years before, as flashbacks of our last night together came crashing into my head.

"Charlie, I know I shouldn't ask you to do this but fuck I am going to be selfish. Would you wait for me?"

"What?"