6.1

Austin's POV

I was silent on the other end of the line, my hand barely finding the strength that it needed to hold the phone to my ear as I stared straight ahead of me into the deep black leather of the Denali that was taking me down to the studio to do some work, Charlotte's sobs pouring through the phone like thick honey as I could do nothing but listen to her cry since I was also at a loss of words to say.

There was no way that Ashlen was pregnant, at least no way that she was pregnant with our child. It had been so long since the time that Charlotte and I fought when I found out about Austy, and knowing Ash there had to be other guys after me. Even though she was desperately trying to get me back, there was no way that she wasn't finding other guys to manipulate and hook up with. She was a club promoter, she was meeting new people every night so there was no way that she was an angel and didn't hook up with anyone.

I tried to calm my nerves and bring myself back together so I could be strong for Charlotte who I was almost certain was beside herself at home. Not only did she start our first day here together by finding a text from Ash telling me that she loved me and wanted to get me back and she would do anything in her power to make that happen, but now this. And I don't know if the fact that Ash showed up at the door-what seemed to be mere minutes after I left-to tell her in person made the situation any better or any worse.

Every part of me wanted to tell Steve to stop, turn the car around and take me home so that her and I could talk about this together, but I also knew that there would be hell to pay if I didn't show up to the studio on time to start laying down tracks for the album that the release date was already being pushed back on. I angrily grabbed at fistfuls of my hair realizing the strain that work was indeed going to have on my personal life as I let out a quiet yell of frustration at my current predicament, Charlotte's small sob coming through the phone reminding me that she was still waiting to hear something, anything from me on the line.

"Charlotte baby" I said, the only two words that I could think of as I felt guilt wash over me, my eyes looking out over the passing buildings as Steve drove quickly down the highway towards the studio while I left her at home to deal with this on her own.

"Austin, this can't be happening" she said, her sobs not seeming to let up as I heard Austy's quiet voice ring through the phone asking her why she was crying. My heart immediately started to break as I imagined his little body standing next to his Mom as he rubbed her back wondering why she was crying, especially after his Dad promised him that his Momma would never cry again.

"I'm okay buddy. Uhm, you go back and play with your toys okay? Momma will be over in a minute. We can get dressed and go for a walk, would you like that?" she asked, the faked enthusiasm in her voice killing me, more because of the fact that it seemed to be perfected reminding me all to well of the reason why... she had a lots of practice.

I took a minute to gather my composure, feeling every emotion from guilt, to sadness and most definitely right down to anger before I thought it was safe to talk with her hoping that I didn't expel the wrong feeling on her and make the situation worse than what it was turning out to be. I threw my head back against the headrest, my hand resting on the top of my head as I closed my eyes more ready than ever to have this conversation.

"Charlotte listen to me baby, she has got to be lying, but if she isn't there is no way that the baby is mine" I said, hoping that my words made sense to her. "She's a very very manipulative person Charlotte and she is still working as a promoter in some of the hottest clubs in LA. She meets new people every single night. She's a super flirtatious girl who will take it as far as she needs" I said to her praying to every power above that those words were going to ease her mind until I heard her let out a breathy sarcastic laugh on the other end of the phone.