Smile

Tommy couldn't count the number of times he'd been betrayed. He couldn't count how many times he'd been forgotten. Glanced over. Hit. Yelled at. Hurt. Murdered (or just attempted). He couldn't count a number of bad things that had happened to him in his life. And out of everybody who was involved, there were only 3 people who had betrayed him or hurt him in a way that he understood and could forgive.

Eret and Wisp. Both had betrayed him for the opposite side. But in the end, they came through when truly needed. Plus, it was all due to manipulation and torture (he's not positive that's what you call it when someone uses your trauma against you, but that's what happended). Wisp had been threatened by the Antarctic Empire, his supposed family (really they were kidnappers, they took him from his real family after threatening permadeath). And Dream, oh Dream, he had twisted and manipulated Eret's words (not knowing Eret was an actual god, of course), and he threatened everyone outside of L'Manburg that he loved.

And Ranboo, poor Ranboo. Ranboo hadn't actually betrayed him. Ranboo had been broken after the explosions, the ones that he was there for. And Phil offered comfort, and he took it. He left soon thereafter though, remembering what had happened with Tommy, Tubbo, and Wilbur. Ranboo remembered stories of neglect and vowed to never stay with them again, because he knew that feeling all too much. Tommy grew up with Ranboo for a bit, before SBI, before Business Bay, before anything. Just 2 boys trying to survive on 2b2t, and he knew. He knew Ranboo, and loved him. They were brothers after all. (Ranboo had even gotten along so well with the rest of his family, the rest of his boys, and he was oh so grateful they loved each other as much as he loved them).

And so, Tommy trusted them. The only other 2 people he trusted were Sam and Puffy, the interim parents he's always wanted.

But, Tommy was scarred. He was broken (he had been broken long before he had got there though). He was beaten. He was sick, and tired, and just wanted to go home. But, no matter how broken, or beaten, or sick, or tired, or just downright done he felt, he stayed. He stayed, and he smiled. He stayed with a boy who had broken his trust multiple times, with everyone who had broken his trust too many times to count. He stayed with the man and the woman who were trying to assassinate him. He stayed in those lands, with his abuser free out of jail after someone had paid a bail bond or whatever. He stayed, and he smiled.

He was constantly smiling, and constantly joking. Constantly laughing and constantly acting happy. No one saw through it, they just thought that was Tommy. None of them knew Tommy enough to realize the front. Not even Phil and Techno could tell (though they were never around to care too much about it). Ranboo, Sam, Eret, Puffy, and Purpled (oh, Purpled, another tale for another time), they saw the cracks. The boy was always smiling, always 'happy' (aside from on a battlefield, where he tried his best to be serious or to crack a joke as the comedic relief).

They could see the boy crumbling, and they tried to help. But the boy refused; continued being happy.

And when it all came falling down around him, for everyone to see, well, let's just say, only few weren't surprised.

Dream had called everyone together. Putting aside their differences, they all met at the original spawn point. There were groups all across, but Dream could only focus on Tommy. He had been planning this for a while now, the idea had stuck with him. And he focused on Tommy as he explained, Tommy who stood close to Sam, Puffy, Ranboo, and Eret. Purpled was also nestled pretty close, but still trying to stick with Punz (his older brother). If Dream tried to pull something, they were prepared.

"Okay, I have gathered you all here today for something quite simple, actually. We're getting 4 new members, and I think Tommy and Ranboo would be really excited to see them. So, I thought a big greeting was in order. Ranboo, Tommy, can you step forward please?"