H

Chapter 51

Mia waited patiently for Jin to ask his question as she continued to finish the batter for their lunch. The batter would only make two Okonomiyaki's, but that would be more than enough for the two of them considering how large the dish usually is. She didn't need to worry about the other members as they had already eaten at the hotel, something Jin had confirmed from a text he received from Yoongi, but if they did have any left over, Mia was sure Jin would take some for them. 

As Mia opened the cupboard to find the correct pan for the batter, she noticed an interesting sight in her peripheral sight. The look on Jin's face as he was cutting the strips of meat was all Mia had to see to know he was ready. He had decided on how to ask the question that was plaguing his mind, no longer contemplating how to word his inquiry. 

Contrary to what many would think, Mia was the least bit worried about what Jin was going to ask. In fact, she had a sneaking suspicion of what the conversation was going to be about. What else but that would Jin ask about? 

And funnily enough, just as that thought crossed her mind, Jin proved Mia's theory as he asked the very question Mia thought he would ask. 

"This might come out a bit blunt, but have you ever been bullied before?"

"Why do you ask that?" Mia questioned back, as she turned on the stove after wiping down the pan just in case something had been crawling over it.

"It's just that, you knew exactly what to do in that situation, that's all. If you haven't then I'm sorry for thinking you have-"

"I didn't say I haven't, Jin. I was just curious how you got to that conclusion, that's all. After all, how are you so sure I wasn't the one doing the bullying? That might explain why I was able to diffuse the situation, having been the bully and all." Mia clarified as she sprayed some oil on the pan once she was sure it had heated up.

"I don't. That's true. But, I just don't think you would ever bully anyone. You've been nothing but kind and welcoming despite the unexpected situation we are in." Jin answered almost instantly as he went to wash his hand after finishing with the meat. Mia had also left him half a cabbage to shred as she started using the other half to make one Okonomiyaki as time was creeping up on them. 

Though Mia was flattered that Jin thought of her in such a kind and righteous way and honestly she wanted to thank him for believing in her, she also knew that to give Jin as much information that he wanted, she had to play the devils advocate a little while longer. 

"I chose a career that relies on public opinion and my audience's likeness of me. As someone who also has a job that entitles the same reaction from the public to be successful, you should know how crucial it is to act like an innocent sheep instead of a wolf. Being wolf would only cause trouble for us entertainers, so naturally we would pick to be a sheep, if not a lamb. Oh, and just because I'm nice to you now, doesn't mean I always have been." Mia countered, before further explaining. "My time with you off camera, like now, could also be a mere act to win you over, Jin. After all, your influence stretches over the world, whilst mine is a smaller audience. How are you so sure this isn't all an act? I could very much be using you by being nice to you." 

"I don't think so, Mia." Jin answered after thinking for a while. 

Mia's advances had confused him and he couldn't understand why she was trying so hard to make herself look bad, when he just asked whether or not she was bullied. Her actions in the park showed that she had a history with bullying, whether it was being the victim or having seen someone being bullied, but nowhere in Jin's mind did the possibility of her being the bully cross his thoughts. He couldn't explain it, but he just couldn't believe she would ever be the one to bully anyone, especially from her behaviour 30 minutes ago.