****

Chapter 38

"What in the world happened to you?!" Amy screeched in surprise as she took in Mia's burnt clothes. She had barely slipped into the bathroom, not even having a second to look up at Mia's face, to see Mia's dress and tights burnt through with holes exposing her marks and scars.

"Shh! Jin's out there!" Mia harshly whispered back, unintentionally dropping the jacket Jin had given to her so she could cover Amy's mouth. "I'll explain in a bit. I just need you to give me something first." Mia made small grabby hands hoping Amy would understand what she was implying without her having to say it out loud.

Amy nodded, understanding Mia's small movements, slipping her hand into her pocket to pull out a sanitary pad. "I got the hint when Jin said girl problems." She winked as she removed Mia's hand from her mouth and quickly spun around so Mia could slip on the pad. And when Amy was sure Mia was done, she span back around meeting the flustered cheeks of her bestie.

"Jeez you two get flustered and turn red with the smallest of things. You truly are a match made in heaven." Amy mumbled, intentionally making sure Mia could hear it. She received the same harmless glare from Mia and as usual, mockingly surrendering to her fate.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll stop teasing. But seriously what happened to your clothes?" Amy asked seriously as she watched Mia take off her dress and slip on a typical hoodie. "Don't know actually. Out of nowhere Jin's words and my scars burst into flames and burnt through my clothes." Mia briefly explained whilst she slipped on a matching pair of joggers. She looks up to see Amy's raised eyebrow, noting the look of disbelief on her face, almost as though she was asking if she had gone crazy and needed to go to the hospital for a check up.

Mia sighs in defeat, already having guessed such a reaction from Amy. After all, no one would just accept what she had just said. The mere thought was mind boggling and fantastical.

Taking a seat on the side of the sparkling clean bathtub, Mia explained the event that had taken place minutes before. Amy listened intently, neither interrupting or questioning anything as her face remained blank and void of emotions. Though Mia was used to this type of reaction when things were serious, it still didn't calm the whirlpool of distress and slight fear that Mia felt deep in her gut. It was an undesirable feeling that she wished she could rid, yet these imperfections were the reason she was human. Nonetheless, Mia narrated all the relevent events that had taken place, leaving out some private moments not wanting to be put in a situation that would backfire in the future.

"So only your clothes were damaged? Not Jin's?" Amy noted after Mia came to an end, catching onto something that hadn't crossed Mia's mind. "Yeah.... That's weird." Mia replied absent mindedly, too preoccupied with the possible source of the attack. There were too many questions in her mind and very little answers to them.

"Oh that's right." Mia suddenly exclaimed before covering her mouth as she looked towards the door. When she was sure Jin hadn't moved from wherever he was, she moved closer to Amy, a forgotten question reappearing in her mind. "That story about the man that burst into flames, have you heard about it before? I don't know why but the story was familiar to me."

Mia watched Amy rack her brain as she thought back to the story they had been told about this morning. It was silent for a few minutes, Mia waiting for an answer from Amy as she seemed to be sifting through her mind. But it wasn't long before Amy's face lit up in eureka as she turned back to Mia, her finger wagging in excitement. "I remember now. It was in the book you used to carry around in high school with you. We read it once when we skipped P.E due to boredom."

Mia's mind casted back to the day Amy was talking about, briefly remembering the small red book she had bought randomly on the way to school that day. She always loved to read, spent most of her free time doing so, and that day she had stumbled across the book in a new bookstore whilst walking to class. Thinking back to it now, Mia couldn't remember why she had entered and bought the book in the first place. She never was one to stray off her normal routine, nor was she the type to randomly walk into a store on her own.