O

Chapter 41

Heart pumping, breathing erratic and mind swirling with millions of thoughts, Jin dashed down the corridor, skipping the elevator as it was in use, towards the emergency stairs. Racing down the numerous flights of stairs, only looking forward as he manoeuvred around the other workers and visitors that were using the stairs like him, he landed on the ground floor, immediately pulling open the fire door to find himself out in the spacious lobby. His eye's flickered over the plethora of heads, slightly frustrated that today out of all the days the place was filled. But when he noticed a familiar hoodie out in the patio through the row of large glass windows situated behind the indoor plants, he released a breath of relief as he made his way to the door leading to the space. 

Body slightly relaxing now that he knew that neither woman had left the building, he made his way through the door out to the coldness of the night. Closing the door behind him so no one would intrude on their conversation, he slowly made his way over to the crouched figures. Not wanting to scare them or intrude on the conversation they were having, he made his presence known by calling their names from the distance. He watched as the two swung their heads around to look at him, before Mia quickly disappeared from sight as she merged with the shadow created by the tree's.

Stopping in front of the pair, Jin turned towards Amy with a gentle smile before glancing at Mia, whose figure was barely visible in the moonlight. "Can you leave the two of us to talk please Amy?" Jin asked softly, though he knew he wouldn't leave even if she refused. "That-" "Please. I just need to talk to her for a minute. If we aren't back in about 5 minutes then you can come back." Jin interrupted her, quickly silencing her as his eyes remained on the shadow behind her. 

He watched as Amy turned towards Mia, no words being exchanged between the two verbally but Jin could see the heated conversation happening between them. Though no words left their mouths, their body posture and stiff movements were more than enough of an indicator for Jin to see that the two were arguing about his request. He was almost certain it was Mia who wanted nothing to do with the conversation.

But after a few long minutes, Amy turned back to him, a soft smile on her face as she detached Mia's desperate hand around her arm before walking away. "I'll give you 10 minutes. Not a second more." She shouted before walking through the door to the lobby without looking back. Jin inwardly thanked her before turning around to look at Mia. But when he turned around, he had noticed that Mia was no where to be found.

Looking around frantically, the time ticking on the clock, his eye's caught onto her running figure far off in the distant. The last thought on his mind was wondering how she was able to get so far in the few seconds he had turned around, as he instantly followed after her. He knew from personal experience that calling out her name would just frighten her and make her more reluctant to stop and talk, so he shadowed after her quietly even though he knew that times was of the essence. 

However, luckily for him, Mia soon slowed down to a walk as she came to the end of the patio and to the east gate. He could see the clear panic on her face that was illuminated by the light of the moon as she looked around for another escape route. But Jin being one of the occupant's of the area knew that there was no where she could run apart from the way she came, which he was stood in. So though he felt like he was trapping a frightened animal in a cage, he walked towards her slowly and spoke quickly before she could get the chance to try and pass him. 

"I'm sorry." The apology fell from his lips effortlessly, causing Mia to freeze in her spot, her eyebrows cutely furrowed as she looked at Jin for the first time since she left the room. Jin noted the remnants of tears on her cheeks, which pulled at his heartstrings weirdly enough, and the evident facial expression of confusion.