I

Chapter 36

"I like you." She blurted out, eyes closed tightly as she prepared for his answer. It was the first time she was ever doing this and she wondered if this was truly the right way of confessing what she felt for him: her knight in shining armour.

But no matter how many times she dreamt of the many outcomes that could come from this, never would she have thought he would ever say what he did.

"What? Are you serious? You called me all the way out here just for that?" He scoffed in annoyance followed by a click of his tongue. "You do realise that the only reason I ever approached you was because of a dare. I never once really cared for you nor did anything to have you like me." He smacked his lips again, huffing as he watched the shorter girl freeze under him.

The corner of his lips lifted as he watched her eyes peek through her eyelids before she slowly looked up to him in shock. "But you-" She started, reaching for his hand that she used to find warmth in. But now looking at them she wondered if they really were as warm as she thought.

"Plus, who would ever want to date an ugly girl like you?" He asked rhetorically, interrupting the broken girl who was drowning in disbelief.

His eyes trailed down from her face to the end of his blouse as he felt the small tugs on his sleeve. Scowling in disgust, he harshly shook off the girls desperate hands, turning his back on her as his feet repelled him from the direction of the girl. And as he made distance between the two, walking towards his friends who were waiting impatiently at the bottom, he turned back around voice full of mirth. 

"Oh that's right, I nearly forgot. Next time you want to confess to someone, at least put some effort into what you look like. Stop playing the sympathy card all the time, no one cares if your parents hate you, nor do they care about you not being able to afford decent clothes. You clearly have enough to eat, I mean just look at you, so maybe use that money on something else, ugly crow."

He spat loudly, getting a few whistles of approval from his friends, who welcomed him with open arms. The boy, her knight in shining armour, looked back one more time watching as his bet fell on to her knee's. And though he felt some guilt from the scene he saw, he turned a blind eye, skipping away with the few 1000 yen he had accounted from winning the bet. Yes, bet. That's what all this was to him. A bet. Nothing else.

Well, that was what he was trying to convince himself with. This was a bet and nothing more. But who would have thought it was much more than that. Something he didnt notice until it was too late.

Mia's consciousness started relight as an immediate feeling of warmth enclosed her hand. It was a foreign touch, yet it didn't repulse her. Instead her fingers wrapped tightly over the mysterious warmth as she slowly nudged whatever it was towards her. But the more she tugged weakly to try and close the distance between her body and the source of heat that was now felt even more electrifying, she moaned in anger at not being able to move it.

The grip the mysterious being had was gentle yet tight as it remained as still as possible despite the harsh tugs from Mia. In fact, Mia could feel a weird sensation tickling her hand each time she tired pulling it towards herself like someone or something was caressing her with hesitant but miraculous movements.