Chapter 28: Preliminaries

It's been three days since my team has been inside the tower waiting for the others. Today is the last day of the second exam and still no sign of team seven. During my stay, I've found out about several things like the sand team and team six got here before we did. I was shocked to learn that team six was Haruna, Natsume, and Hana not to mention that Kena was the Jonin in charge of them. The same day we got here the dark team arrived after us. On the third and fourth days, other teams came and passed their exams.

I went to find Kotetsu giving my wholehearted apology and promised to report in if there was more trouble in the future. He gave a warm smile accepting my apology and said you better keep that promise. After, he went on about his business with more preparations for the exams and written reports about the current situation. I was happy to see the other rookie teams pass their exams as well as Guy's team. The rookies gathered near the doors chatting as they wait for team seven.

"How's everyone, " I asked.

Kiba smirks, "Didn't break a sweat."

My lip twitches as I rub a strand of his hair between my fingers, "Is that so? What do you call this swelting."

He blushes, "Shuddup!" Everyone laughs as the doors open with team seven on the other side. I exhale in relief, they look exhausted but thank goodness they're alive. Someone taps my shoulder and I turn my body to see Haruna and the others.

I smile, "Why didn't you tell me you were in the Chunin exams?"

Haruna laughs, "We wanted to surprise you."

"You mean "You wanted to" not us, " Natsume's eyes rolled.

Haruna hangs her arm on Natsume's shoulder, "One day you'll learn to have fun."

"One day you'll learn to stay out of trouble."

Hana raises her hands, "Please, don't fight."

I chuckle, "I'm glad you're all here."

Kena nods, "We all better get moving it seems the next part of the exam is going to begin."

Everyone lines up near the stage that was in front of the big hands holding the ram sign statue. The staff of the exams, Lord Third, and the sensei's of each team stood waiting for the Hokage to start. It wasn't hard to spot Kane, Kakashi, and Kena standing together as their white hair stood out in the wave of dark-haired people. Lord Third steps forward to explain the reason for the chunin exams. Questions and answers were thrown back and forth until there were none left.

"It's time to begin the next part..." Lord Third was interrupted by a man carrying a katana on his back. I tilt my head trying to recall his name as I don't see him frequently.

He coughs, "I must stop the preceding and inform you that there will be preliminaries before the final exam can begin." A light goes off, he's Hayate Gekko who played shogi with me sometimes! He delivered a brief explanation about the rules of the preliminaries and why it was necessary. He finishes, "Anyone who wants to quit is allowed. The preliminary round will start right after my briefing is completed."

A hand goes up from Kabuto and Hayate nods, "I'll mark you. You may leave."

Naruto screams, "You can't give up now!"

Kabuto sighs, "I'm too exhausted to fight anymore, and my injuries can't handle another battle. I'm sorry Naruto." He glances over at me while rubbing the back of his neck. I roll my eyes, good acting but not great. His eyes held a hidden dark side that was detectable. His behavior toward me was an indication of being conscious of my knowledge about him. I smirk at him acknowledging his suspicion.

He controlled his body so it wouldn't jump from my intimidating stare. He leaves the room down the hallway toward the back exit. Hayate scans the crowd, "Anyone else who wants to withdraw must do so now." No one left and he sighs, "Alright. This round is sudden death it'll be one on one battle. To win, you must either defeat your opponent or render them unconscious. Killing your opponent is allowed but I'll make sure that doesn't happen. I'll be determining who moves on to the final round of the exams. The preliminary round can begin. The screen above will randomly select two people to battle on the ground level. The rest will be spectators on the level above the arena."

A big screen appears from behind a wall and begins shuffling the names of each contestant. It took a minute to select two names that read Sasuke Uchiha vs Yoroi Ukado. Everyone disburses heading to the second level but I had other plans. I stride to Sasuke and whisper, "Don't forget my warning."

Kakashi lays his hand on Sasuke's shoulder then leans forward to whisper as well, "After this round is over I'll seal your mark."

Sasuke smirks, "So you know about it."

He adds, "If you show any signs of using it I'll stop the match. Good luck."

A slow smile formed, At least I don't have to worry as much. I walk up the stairs in front of Kakashi. My teammates stood by Kane with Kena and her team. Chiaki grins and waves at me as if she was ready to burst with excitement. I laugh, "What are you excited about?"

She wiggles, "Kane is in charge of our team isn't that exciting!"

My mouth drops, "What!?"

Kane continues, "It's true. Kakashi can't manage your team and team seven that would be unreasonable. I volunteered to manage your team in the exams and any missions in the future."

"Makes sense."

Kakashi points below us, "The match is about to begin." We turn our heads to watch as the two were facing each other. Hayate held his hand up and they both hold a fight stance then he shouts, "Begin." The man wearing sunglasses reacts first by easily bringing down Sasuke. Yoroi was holding Sasuke's head still on the ground then his hand glowed blue. My eyes widen as I watched the chakra being drained from Sasuke into him, this is bad.