Chapter 47: Fashionably Late

Shikamaru didn't get up right away and glared at the oblivious Naruto. I covered my mouth suppressing my laughter but Shikamaru didn't miss a beat. His glare shifted over to me and I wink in response. Temari becomes impatient and charges at him, "If you won't move then I will."

Genma interjects, "I didn't start the match yet." Temari jumps high holding her giant fan over her head. Shikamaru throws two kunai at the wall and moves out of the way before her fan hits him. A dust cloud covers them temporarily and when it clears she blinks looking confused.

"It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me whether I ever become a chunin or not so let's do it," Shikamaru speaks out. She flicks open her fan angrily and blasts him with a heavy powerful wind. Another dust cloud covers where Shikamaru was previously but when it cleared he disappeared. She glances around trying to look for him. My eyes immediately spot Shikamaru hiding behind the trees staring up at the clouds. I smile, cloud envy. He doesn't like fighting girls. He throws his shadow trying to surprise his opponent but she backs out of his reach. She quickly draws a line to where his shadow ends. She has a knack for strategy as well. The audience was glued to their seats watching this match play out.

He moves position to lean against the wall and waits for the sun to go down more. He puts his hands together and closed his eyes to think. She nearly has your jutsu all figured out. What will you do? The shadow he was sitting in became longer extending from the arena wall. He finally opened his eyes and sticks his hand inside his pouch. She blasts him with wind and he quickly rolls into the trees. I watch around the trees and soon spot something being thrown into the air. Her focus was on the trees so she didn't notice anything. As soon as the wind settles he comes out of hiding and immediately releases his shadow toward her. It stops again just shy of her then a warning shout comes from beside me. "Temari above you!"

She tries to see past the sun's gleam to notice a parachute made from his jacket and kunai knife as the anchor. This action helps his shadow reach farther chasing her around until it stops again. She was now standing next to the hole that Naruto made earlier. I smirk and tap the railing, this match is over. She hides behind her fan and squats probably trying to create clones. The shadow stream comes from the hole and finally catches her shadow paralyzing her movements. He smirks, "It took a while but finally my shadow possession jutsu is complete."

"But how?!" she exclaimed. He angles his head so she could look behind as he answered her question. He walked toward her and she did the same action. They both stop within a mere foot of each other.

Shikamaru raises his hand with Temari mimicking him, "The hell with it I give up!" I heard Naruto and Haruna gasp on each side of me. Everyone was shocked by his resignation from the match. He speaks, "It's too bad that I don't have enough chakra to win because I had already planned the next twenty moves. In just a few seconds my jutsu is going to break." On cue, the shadow that was holding Temari breaks, and the streamed shadow dissipates back to his own.

Genma smirks and calls the match, "Shikamaru forfeits the match. The winner of the seventh round is Temari."

My shoulders shook as I laughed, "Best twist ending ever!"

Naruto shouts booing him, "What kind of ending was that!?" The crowd wasn't satisfied by this conclusion and began to shout their disapproval. Shikamaru strolls inside the tunnel to the stairs leading up to the balcony. When Shikamaru exits the stairs Naruto was on top of him hurling his complaints. I walk over and hit Naruto's head with a karate chop.

"You did a good job rendering your audience speechless." I chuckled.

He groans, "I just need a nap right now."

"Me too."

We walk back over to the railing watching Genma quieting down the audience to make an announcement, "Since all the matches have been concluded except for the postponed second match. If Sasuke Uchiha doesn't arrive within the next twenty minutes he'll be disqualified." He looks down at his watching the clock tick forward as each minute passes. Everyone was quiet waiting for the Uchiha star to arrive. I glance at the entrance of the arena, where are they? I hope they're alright. The silence was stifling as anticipation grew in the air. Everyone kept their gaze inside the arena waiting for Sasuke to show up.

Naruto groans, "Sasuke needs to hurry up!"

"He'll show up at the last second," I giggled.

"I hope you're right."

I watched Naruto bite his lips and fidget with his fingers and sighed, "He wouldn't miss an opportunity to prove his strength so believe in him."

Naruto's eyes widen and then smiles, "Thanks, Shiori. I needed that."

I smile back, "You're welcome."

Silence fell between us as we watched the time slowly tickle away as the minute hand approached each minute. There were thirty seconds left on the clock and when time was up. Genma says, "The time limit has expired so I'm officially calling this match..."A sudden gust of wind swirls leaves around a particular spot. When the wind stops and the leaves slowly flutter down Sasuke and Kakashi we're standing there.

"I'm sorry we're late. You won't believe the traffic," Kakashi said.

Genma asks looking at the boy, "You are?"

"I'm Sasuke Uchiha."

Kakashi rubs the back of his head, "How late are we I mean it's not like Sasuke is disqualified or anything?"

"Like master like pupil even down to your lousy sense of time. No, he's not disqualified."

Kakashi sighs, "That's a relief."