Chapter 13: A Man's Identity and A Heroes Story

{Picture of the face of the mysterious masked ninja from chapter seven.}

Metal scrapes as the bridge builders work while Sakura and I guard Tazuna. You could tell everyone was working hard because the air had the scent of sweat. Earlier this morning, I was training in the forest when Kakashi came and asked for me to protect Tazuna along with Sakura. She looked tired that a yawn escapes her lips this made Tazuna worry a little.

He asks, "You always this lazy? Where's that weird blonde kid and the one with the attitude?"

She answers, "They're training, climbing trees."

"To tough for you?"

Sakura brags, " No. In fact, I'm the best. That's why the sensei sent me here to guard you." I nearly choked, Oh, please.

Tazuna doubtfully says, "You're joking." Sakura flashes in anger from his comment.

I sass, "That's why I'm here to protect both of you." Tazuna's eyes light up with a humorous gleam while Sakura looked as if her head would explode.

A guy approaches us and says, "Tazuna, uh, I need to talk to you."

He nods stepping away with him a little, "Huh? What about?"

The guy continues, "Uh, the thing is, I've been thinking a lot about the bridge and decided I've pushed my luck far enough. I want out."

His face reddens and yells, "Now you're going to quit on me, just like that? You're kidding!"

The guy adds, "You know, I stayed on because of our friendship. But I'm putting my life on the line every day I stay here. Gato and his thugs will show up eventually."

"Hmm." He folds his arms, clearly showing that he was furious.

"When they do, they'll kill you and the bridge will never get finished anyway. It's a lost cause, Tazuna. Why don't we stop now while we can still get out of this alive?"

He replies, "No chance."

The guy blinks, "Huh?"

"This is our bridge. Our island is poor, and it will stay that way until this bridge connects us to the mainland. Commerce, trade and hope, that's why we're building here."

The guy skeptically says," There's not going to be much hope if we're all dead."

Tazuna clenches his teeth, "It's already noon. Let's break for lunch."

His friend sighs, "Tazuna, let's not end it like this."

"Save your breath. Oh, and Giichi, don't bother coming back after lunch." He says walking away from him in long strides. Sakura looks at them back and forth with worry as we follow not far behind him. After the lunch break, the guy-Giichi didn't return but still the work continued for at least three more hours. Tazuna called it quits before the sky could turn dark because Gato's thugs prayed on people in the shadows. We stroll our way to the village town where hardly anything to offer and a lot of little kids were hanging around. I frown, I should help these people but the bridge has to be done first.

"Where are we going?" Sakura asks.

Tazuna says, "You want to eat tonight don't you? I got to pick up some things for dinner." There was a guy with a sign walking past us then hear another man yell thief as some kid runs away. He stops in front of what looks like a ruined grocery store and says, "Here we are." When we walk inside the owner welcomes us with a good afternoon. I notice that a man comes into the store and sees Sakura's bag and when he tries to steal it her reaction wasn't what he expected.