Chapter 9: The Assassin of the Mist!

The boat man silently rows across the calm waters in the misty fog heading towards the Land of Waves. Of course, my mind was elsewhere considering the possibility that the next Hidden Mist ninja will be a Jonin ranked ninja. We have to figure out why these ninja were after the master bridge builder and soon we'll probably get the answers we seek.

Sakura interrupts my thoughts and , "This fog so thick, you can't see anything."

Boat Man murmurs, "The bridge isn't far now. Our destination's just ahead, the Land of Waves." Naruto tries to look through the fog but gives up after figuring out it was impossible for him. We continue to row feeling like it was going to take an eternity to get there.

Suddenly, Naruto shouts, "Whoa! It's huge!" I notice that there was a clearing showing the bridge that is currently being built.

The Boat Man was taken back and scolds in a whisper, "What? Quiet! I told you, no noise! Why do you think we're traveling like this, huh? Cutting off the engine and rowing, moving through the dense fog so they don't see us." I take a pair of Naruto's bundled socks out of his bag and stuffing it in his mouth before he could say another word.

I frown in displeasure, "Yeah, Naruto use your head or I'll make you...the hard way." He nods in fear of what I might do to him yet I could hear Kakashi sigh in the background.

Kakashi coolly mentions, "Shiori, was that necessary..." I slant my eyes over my shoulder at him and sigh giving up at the moment then he begins, "Mr. Tazuna...before we reach the pier, I want to ask you something. The men who are after you, I need to know why. If you don't tell us. I'm afraid I'll have to end this mission when we drop you ashore." This was the conversation, I was hoping for as I turn my body towards them having my full attention.

"I have no choice but to tell you. No, I want you to know the truth and like you said, this is beyond the scope of the original mission. The one who seeks my life is a very short man who casts a very long and deadly shadow."

"A deadly shadow?" Kakashi inquires while Tazuna grunts, he continues, "Who is it?"

Tazuna adds with a frown, "You know him. At least, I'm sure you've heard his name before. He's the one of the wealthiest men in the world..."

I sigh finishing his sentence, "The shipping magnet, Gato. Correct."

"Yes."

Kakashi startles in recognition, "Huh? Gato? Of Gato Transport? He's a business leader. Everyone knows him."

Naruto questions, "Who? Who? What? What?"

I reply, "Gato is a very powerful tycoon from a famous company but heard many rumors saying that he takes over businesses and nations by any means necessary using gangs and ninjas. This Gato also sells drugs and contraband like having an underground business. I hear this man is not to be trifled with unless your asking for a death wish."

Tazuna says, "You are smarter than I gave you credit for."

I roll my eyes, "Gee, thanks that makes me feel loads better."

Kakashi chuckles, "Mr. Tazuna, she is definitely most informative and an excellent fighter for a Genin level ninja." He waves for Tazuna to continue with his explanation.

"It was one year ago when Gato first set his sight on the Land of Waves. He came to our island and used his vast wealth to take total control of our transport and shipping. Anyone who tried to stand in his way simply disappeared. In an island nation, a man who controls the sea controls everything. Finance, government, our very lives but there's one thing he fears, the bridge. When it is complete, it will join us to the land and that will break his control. I am the bridge builder."