Chapter 22: The Written Exam!

We all sat according to the numbers from our papers that we drew from the proctor. Each team was spread out and two chairs were placed at each end of each row. These guys had clipboards in their hands watching us waiting for Ibiki to explain what our first exam is. Ibiki announces, "Your first exam will be a written test." He hands the stack to one of his wardens and it was pasted out from left to right toward the end. I took one then pass it to the next person and scan over the questions. I knew right away that each question was harder than the one before it. An ordinary genin couldn't answer these questions without cheating but for me, this would be a breeze.

Ibiki continues, "Listen up because I won't repeat myself. They're three rules for this exam. Rule one: the written part of the exam is conducted on a point reduction system. You all begin the test with a perfect score of ten points. One point will be deducted for each wrong answer like if you miss three your final score is seven. Rule two: teams will pass or fail based on the total scores of all three members. Rule three: the sentinels you see positioned around the room are there to watch you carefully for any signs of cheating and for any incident they spot, they'll subtract two points from the culprit's score. If they catch you five times, you'll be dismissed before the tests are even scored. Anyone foolish enough to be caught cheating by the sentinels doesn't deserve to be here. Also, if any candidate should get a zero and fail the test, then the entire team fails. The final question won't be given out until fifteen minutes before the end of the testing period. You'll have one hour to finish. Begin!"

The clicking of the pencils writing on paper was all that could be heard throughout the classroom. I thought Ibiki made a big deal about getting caught cheating on the exam based on point reduction. In short, he wants us to cheat to get the answers because no ordinary genin could answer these questions. I glance around the room to find Chiaki and Daiki doing the same as I was finding my teammates. During our training sessions, I had the pleasure of marking them with my teleportation jutsu. The problem was getting the answers to them without being spotted by sentinels. I write down all the answers on my sheet while devising a plan.

Finally, a solution arose when I remembered my special chakra infused ink pen in my pouch. This was an easy jutsu to perform with the use of little chakra even Naruto could do it. I traced over my work with my ink pen and weaved (Ox-Rabbit-Tiger), "Chiaki and Daiki." I focus on their chakra as the message was being teleported on the skin of their forearms. It didn't take long for the message to be transferred and I watched both of them carefully. Daiki nods in my direction saying he got the message and weaves the tiger sign to transfer the answer to his paper. Chiaki smiles and weaves the tiger sign as well transferring the answers on her paper with more enthusiasm than before the test started. The ink that was on my paper before vanished like it was nothing more than a pipe dream.

Kakashi's POV:
I sat on the bench by the window staring out at the village while thinking about what Shiori said to me. It was the first time in my life where I was speechless and didn't know what to say to her. She looked shocked like she said too much and ran inside the house yesterday but today her eyes had clarity in them. My heart during her confession beat wildly in my chest and the more I think about it now, my heart misbehaves again. I hum, I've always cared for her but do I love her as she loves me? I wasn't certain about my confusing feelings for her but only time will tell.

"Is there something on your mind, Kakashi? We were calling you for a while now, " Asuma's voice grabs my attention.

I glance at Asuma and Kurenai sitting beside him on the bench in front of me, "Just thinking how quiet it is without the rookies around I almost miss 'em."

Asuma chuckles, "We're you thinking of Shiori when you say that?" I roll my eye at him and continues with a serious face, "You don't have to worry about it. Chances are they'll be back again sooner than you think."

I raise my brow, "Why's that?"

"I heard that their first examiner this year is Ibiki."

So, already their chances of passing look iffy. I shake my head, "Great, sticking them with that sadist right off the bat." Kurenai blinks with confusion written on her face then we both went into a lengthy explanation about Ibiki Morino's special mind torture. How he was the head of the Anbu torture and interrogation corps who had unrivaled skills in the hidden leaf village.

Shiori's POV:
Ibiki says, "There are ten minutes left to complete the exam. Now for the tenth and final question, there is one special rule with it so pay attention. The rule is each of you is free to choose not to be given the final question. It's your decision. If you choose not to take the tenth question, regardless of your answers to the other nine, you'll get a zero. In other words, you fail meaning both of your teammates fail as well. If you do accept the question but answer it incorrectly, you will not only fail, you'll be banned from taking the chunin exam ever again!" Some of the students raise their hands, admitting defeat. Three teams, we're dismissed from the classroom while the sentinels write down their numbers on their clipboard.

I slap my hand over my mouth holding back my laughter, Ibiki, you sly fox! You're trying to scare them into quitting the exam. Naruto jumps up and points at Ibiki, "Don't underestimate me! I don't quit and I don't run. You can act tough all you want. You guys aren't going to scare me off. No way! I don't care if I do get stuck as a Genin for the rest of my life. I'll still be Hokage someday!" After that speech, Naruto sits down in his chair with a huff.

He continues, "This decision is one that could change your life. If for any reason you would rather quit, now's your last chance."

I shout loudly, substantiating Naruto's statement, "No chance, quitting is not an option for me either. I don't run away from a challenge, I face the problem head-on as a real ninja would in battle. If I have to remain as a Genin for the rest of my life to prove this point so be it. There's nothing on this earth that will stop me from protecting my home and village. I'll never go back on my word because that's my ninja way."

"Well, then, I admire your determination, if nothing else. For those of you remaining, there's only one thing left to do and that's for me to tell you that you've all passed the first exam." Everyone was confused about the exam and they began to shoot out questions. The sound of glass breaking grabs everyone's attention to the big black cloth ball then kunai pins each corner into the ceiling and floor. I recognized her right away to be Anko Mitarashi coming out popping the confetti.

She jumps the gun, "Heads up, boys and girls. This is no time to be celebrating. I'll be your next proctor, Anko Mitarashi. You ready for the second test? Good! Then, let's go. Follow me!" I shake my head, She's as impatient as I remember.