Chapter 44: The Final Tournament Begins!

After the whole situation with my brothers, I went through rigorous training every day with Kane, Tori, and Kena to prepare for the past month. The day has finally arrived for the final contestants to show off their skills for our futures. The arena was full of noble and common people alike to watch how much each ninja has grown. The sand siblings, Natsume, Hana, Daiki, Neji, Naruto, Shikamaru, Haruna, Kai, and Shino were here standing with Genma presenting us to the crowd. Where are Kakashi and Sasuke? Better yet where is Hayate? The exams will begin soon. Genma turns towards us and flashes a sheet of paper, "Here's the new order of your opponents memorize it." I inspect the writing and notice a name missing, Dosu Kinuta, what is happening here? Is Dosu and Hayate's disappearance connected? Lord Third gives a short introduction to begin the exams, "We'll begin the exam with our thirteen candidates in attendance."

Genma adds, "If I determine that the match is over I'll step in at any time. Naruto and Neji will stay while the rest of you head for the second-level balcony." The group moves toward the stairway leading to the balcony. I travel with most of the group except for Kai and the sand siblings down the long corridor. A lone figure stood by the stairs to the stadium seats and upon closer inspection, it was a familiar teenage boy. He had short black hair and a long tail of hair tied together in the back. His gold eyes locked on to mine and I instantly knew who he was. Ryūichi Takara, you decided to show up. He pushes off the wall toward me while he smirked, "Congrats on making it to the final round Shiori."

"Thank you."

He takes my hand and kisses it, "I can't wait to see your progress my darling."

I maintained my smile the best I could but the corner of my mouth twitched from my rising annoyance, "You'll be entertained I'm sure."

"I don't doubt that it's you were talking about here. I'll let you get back to it, bye." He went back into the stadium seating and Shikamaru arches his brow at me. I groaned, "He's the son of a Land of Fire nobleman from the Takara clan."

He shakes his head, "I can't tell if you draw attention to yourself or attention finds you."

"Both." I start walking again toward the stairs leading up and the group followed. Each step echoed through the stairway as we climbed our way to the balcony. The sound of metal clanging against each other echoed from the arena. Neji's voice could be heard as he lectured Naruto about the secrets of the Hyuga clan's curse mark. I lean on the railing watching the fight Neji is hitting all of Naruto's chakra points from the sixty-four palm technique. The strikes he delivered were hard against Naruto's chest which caused the knucklehead to slide across the dirt. Breathing was difficult for a few moments yet he stood back up on his feet still determined to defeat his opponent. I smirked, I wouldn't want him as an enemy. Neji has a real problem on his hands. Neji tells the proctor this fight is over but Naruto persistence convinces the one in charge that it wasn't. A few more minutes of fighting and Naruto wins with a good old fashion uppercut under Neji's chin with a mix of accessing the Nine-tails chakra for his victory.

Everyone in the stands was cheering for the winner while Neji lays on the ground unable to move. Genma adds, "A caged bird will grow wiser and open the cage with their beak to free itself. They don't give up because they want to fly again."

The medical ninjas show up with the stretch and carry Neji away to the infirmary toward the end of the tunnel beneath us. Naruto ran into the tunnel rushing upstairs hyper like he had some ramen before the fight. He jumps to hang on Shikamaru's shoulder with a wide grin, " Did you guys see that?!"

"Yeah. Calm down or I'll fall over the railing!" Shikamaru complains with a heavy sigh.

I laugh and rub my hand in his hair messing it up, "You did a good job!"

Genma announces, "Second round Gaara vs Sasuke Uchiha!" The crowd roars in a cheer ready for the fight to begin. Genma glances at the clock waiting for Sasuke to arrive but as time goes on people were beginning to get a little antsy. Lord Third nods, "We'll postpone the second round and continue on to the third round."

"Listen everyone we'll be postponing this match since one of the participants hasn't arrived. We'll jump to the next match that would've followed this one so, Shino and Kankuro come down."

I glance over to the puppet user and notice him biting at his lips while looking at his puppet, he looks nervous but why? Kankuro looks at Temari and she gives him a firm nod. Kankuro shouts, "Proctor, I withdraw."

"What?" Genma frowned.

I hummed, why would he need to withdraw? Unless he has something to hide. I flooded my senses with chakra so I could detect what he was hiding. I turned toward his direction and sniffed the air which lightly smelled of vinegar. I snap my eyes open, Hydrofluoric acid!

"That means my match is one match closer! What a drag!" Shikamaru rubbed his head. I dismissed his complaint and continue to look around the arena sensing everyone else chakra for a familiar one. My eye drag over the crowd, Not here. Wait a minute! Would he risk it?! I turn my gaze over to where the two Kages sat and my mouth falls open, Orochimaru! He's disguised as the Kazekage! That explains Kankuro's weird behavior! Calm down. What can I do now that will make a difference without being obvious?

"I withdraw so, please advance to the next match." The crowd starts to yell their displeasure about Kankuro's withdrawal.