Chapter 8: A Dangerous Mission! Journey to the Land of Waves

I walk through the door of the Hokage's Office to witness a fat noble lady squeezing the life out of the poor kitty and she says, "Oh, my poor little Torah. Mommy was so worried about her naughty little fuzzykins, yes." The cat meows in mercy as she squishes her cheeks into Torah's face.

I stand by Kakashi and the gang as Naruto laughs, "Stupid cat. That kitty deserves to be squashed."

"No wonder he ran away." Sakura comments.

As the fat lady continues, "Fuzzykins, ooh, you're my baby. I'm so happy."

"It seems that your mission was to capture a lost cat."

Kakashi widens his eye, "Yeah, you missed a lot today so did you complete your errand?"

I smile holding up the peace sign, "Of course."

His eye narrows, "So, why are there injuries on your shoulders and face."

"Yeah, I got into some trouble so these injuries were unavoidable." I whisper.

His gaze flashes as he was about to scold me then the Hokage says, "Now, then, for squad seven's next mission, we have several available tasks. Huh? Among them, babysitting the chief counselor's three year old, helping his wife to do the shopping, digging up potatoes, and--"

Naruto interrupts by complaining loudly, "No! I want to go on a real mission, something challenging and exciting, not this little kid stuff! Come on, old man!"

Kakashi sighs then Iruka yells, "How dare you? You're just a brand-new Genin with no experience. Like everyone else, you start with simple missions to develop your skills and prove yourself."

"Are you serious? Babysitting is not a mission. It's just a stupid--" Kakashi punches Naruto in the head and Naruto screams, "Aah!" He falls face planting the wooden floor.

Kakashi scolds, "Will you put a lid on it?"

Hiruzen sighs, "Naruto--"

Naruto freaks then rubbing the top of his head looking afflicted while Hiruzen proceeds, "It seems you do not understand the tasks you have been given. Listen, many different kinds of requests come into our village every day, from babysitting to assassinations. These requests are carefully recorded, analyzed, then ranked A, B, C, or D, Chunin, and Genin at the bottom. At the highest level, we select the missions and assign them to ninja who have the appropriate skill and experience. And if the mission is successful, we receive a fee that supports our village and our work. Since you are untried Genin just starting down the shinobi path, you are given D-level assignment, of course. Hmm."

Naruto gets bored with the Hokage's explanation so he whispers, "So I had this tonkotsu ramen yesterday, and I'm thinking miso ramen today."

I laugh when Hiruzen's face turns red from anger and smile, "That sounds good maybe I'll try some of tempura...what do you think?"

Kakashi makes a face, "I wouldn't risk it... It's disgusting to say the least."

Hiruzen screams, "Silence!"

Kakashi looking thoroughly scolded when he smiles embarrassingly while scratching his head, "Oh, sorry." We all turn our attention towards the Hokage.

Naruto shouts, "Aah! You always lecture me like you're my grandfather or something but I'm not the little brat who used to pull pranks all the time. I'm a ninja now, and I want a ninja mission. Hmmm!!" He turns away from them in a huff.

"Hmm, I'm going to hear about this later."

I chuckle, "I think he wants to prove himself to everyone so I say let him have his way."