Chapter 54: Asuma's Curious Nature

The next day came and I barely slept a wink last night. Guy did send a tortoise messenger to inform me that the rescue operation was a success. I clutched my blanket, "Do you think everyone is alright, Kena?"

Kena sighed while filling out the patient chart, "I'm sure they're fine. Please calm yourself or are you trying to give me a reason to add anxiety to your health chart."

I rub my face, "I can't help it. I'm so worried about them."

Several clicks announced someone opening the door. My head turned automatically toward the noise and Asuma entered holding a fruit basket. He smiled with a lit cigarette in his mouth, "Hey, Shiori. I hope you're doing better." He sat on the chair and placed the basket gift on the night table, "It seems like you didn't sleep well last night."

"Yeah, I was worried about all of you." I glanced into his brown eyes and found curiosity within them. He must have talked with Guy yesterday. He picked up an orange and began to peel it. I hummed, "You came here alone. How is everyone doing?"

He explained that Itachi wanted to take Kakashi with him because he knew some information about his Mangekyo Sharingan and the Akatsuki's plans. Guy had perfect timing coming to their rescue which drove them off. Kakashi was the one who was hurt by Itachi's Tsukiyomi technique. He was bedridden inside his apartment hanging with Kurenai and two other guys. He paused at the end to examine my reaction. I nod, "I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Kakashi will need a couple of weeks to recover from the usage of his sharingan. I have another question to ask which will bring us full circle. Why did you come here alone?"

He gave an incredulous stare, "How did you know we were fighting with Itachi and Kisame?"

I gave a glance at Kena and grabbed Asuma's cigarette to extinguish it. "Close all openings and throw up the barrier." Kena zipped around the room at a blinding speed closing the window and door. The tags were built inside the walls so Kena just weaved the hand signs putting up the barrier.

Asuma's smile widens, "You don't throw up barriers for no reason."

I shrug half-heartedly, "I don't like to be overheard is all."

"Uh-huh. I'm sure that's what it is." Asuma scratches along his jaw. He lights another cigarette as Kena quickly produces an ashtray for him on the table. He inhales and blows out smoke, "I talked to Guy after he rescued us. It was when I had told him he had good timing and you know what he said. Guy said that you sent him to our location." He takes a folded paper from his vest pocket and sets it on my lap. He leans forward, sliding his chair closer. "Go on, open it. I'm sure you will recognize it considering it's your handwriting."

I open the paper and it is the map I gave Guy earlier today. Shit, what now. Asuma deliberately lowers his head to study me. The butterflies in my stomach were amplifying my nervousness. I gave a painful glance at him, "Do not ask me anything that relates to how I knew. I can't give you the answers to appease your curiosity."

"Why can't you answer any of those questions?" He inhales his cigarette and exhales the smoke again. His two fingers held the cigarette to tap against the ashtray so the ashes wouldn't fall on the floor.

I sigh, "It's one of my clan's secrets so I can't divulge that kind of information for any reason. I'm sure you understand."

"Is there a question you can answer," he asked.

I hummed, "You just have to figure out the right ones to ask."

He sighs dejectedly while his posture stoops inside the chair. He swings his leg over his other one, "I can see why Iruka had a tough time with you. You love making things difficult."

I chuckle, "That's politics in a nutshell making a simple rule difficult. Aren't you going to be a clan leader soon?"

He shakes his head, "My old man was but my older brother will be fulfilling the role now. I'm sure you'll see him at the next clan leader meeting." Interesting... I wonder if he is anything like Asuma. He waggles his finger at me, "Don't change the subject. Kakashi said it would be hard to get any information out of you."

"He's wise not to ask certain questions about specific topics."

Asuma sighs heavily and leans forward in his chair, "I'm sure he knows how to ask without breaking the rules doesn't he?"

I shake my head, "There are some things that even Kakashi doesn't know. You're not the only one in the dark Asuma."

He inhales his cigarette and blows out smoke, "Who or what are you trying to protect by keeping your clan secrets?"

"My family, myself, and the leaf village. There is a lot at stake here."

He stands from the chair with a sigh and turns toward the door, "I see. One day you'll need to entrust your secrets to your friends so the burden you carry will not overwhelm you." Kena takes down the barrier so Asuma can leave the room. He gives a two-finger wave, "I'll be here if you need to entrust some of those secrets to me. For now, I'll see you later." Asuma walks out into the hallway and closes the door behind him. I groaned into my hands, I'm sorry, Asuma.

Kena extinguishes the ashes by pouring water into the tray and discards them safely. She pats my back trying to soothe me, "You did the right thing, my lady."

"What will I be sacrificing by keeping these secrets? My friends, my family, or the village. It's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt because I kept those secrets," my hands moved as I talked.

Kena sighed, "There will come a time when you can share those secrets but now isn't the right time please be patient."