77. Family

|THE SAME DAY - 11:40 p.m.|

Jungkook stared into space as he tightly held onto Taehyung's smaller body. The two were in their bed at the moment, trying to sleep. After the hike, they had done nothing but relax while having casual conversations or watching movies. They had been exhausted after climbing the mountain and only left the cottage to eat dinner. Taehyung had insisted they sleep early so they could wake up early and enjoy their anniversary to the fullest. Jungkook had agreed, but he knew he couldn't sleep till 12 a.m.

Taehyung's back was pressed against his chest as the two lay in bed. By now, he was completely sure that Taehyung was asleep. Every time he had peeked to check whether he was awake, the boy had his eyes closed. The fact that he hadn't moved at all further convinced Jungkook. He was confident that his plan would work.

He checked the time on his phone placed on the bedside table. He had to get up in five minutes. He slowly removed his arm from around Taehyung and turned to lay on his back. It was quite common for him to change his sleeping position in the middle of the night. He wanted to stop holding Taehyung from before so it doesn't come to him as a complete surprise when Jungkook leaves the bed. He pulled the blanket over his face; again, a very common habit of his, and began fake snoring. He realized that not having his mildly loud snores as a background sound for Taehyung while he slept would feel odd to the older. If he were to wake up right now, there was no way he would think Jungkook was awake. 

Five minutes later, Jungkook very slowly started getting up from the bed. He knew he had to be silent but also had to make very minute shifts in his position. Taehyung was not a very deep sleeper, if Jungkook were to move quickly, he would definitely feel the weight of the mattress shifting beneath him and eventually wake up. 

When he successfully got up and made sure Taehyung was still soundly sleeping, he grabbed a few pillows from the sofa in their room and stacked it up in a way it would look like it was his body under the blanket and not cushions. He covered the pillows with the blanket and hoped Taehyung would not want to turn and hug him in the next fifteen minutes. 

The room they slept in had two doors, both leading to the same living room, but through two different sets of staircases. Jungkook didn't get the physics behind that type of architecture so he concluded they just did that to give the cottage a more artistic feel to it. 

Before sleeping, he had been smart enough to make sure both the doors were unlocked and open, so he could easily, without making any noise be able to go to the living room where he had expertly hidden his gift. 

Looking at the arrangement of the pillows one last time to make sure it was perfect, he tip-toed down the stairs. It was pitch black and dark in the cottage. So dark that if they were to stand opposite each other in the same room, it would take a lot of effort to realize another person was also in the room. Therefore, he used his flashlight to navigate his way. 

He let out a sigh of relief when he finally stepped foot in the living room and immediately switched on the light. After retrieving the small box he had hid behind the fire place, he switched off the light and went outside the cottage for a few minutes. He would go back inside at two minutes to 12 and celebrate with the love of his life, the first year of them being together.

|MEANWHILE - 11:45 p.m.|

'Jungkook is being really fidgety today.'

That's what Taehyung had been thinking ever since they had gotten into bed to sleep. As much as he wanted to turn and see what in the world Jungkook was up to, he didn't dare open his eyes or twitch a muscle. For his plan to work, he needed to make sure Jungkook thought he was completely asleep.