80. Selfish

"You need to come here to America, now."

"What?!" Jungkook exclaimed, subconsciously leaning forward and letting go of his relaxed position.

"Yes." Mr. Jeon simply answered, as if this wasn't a big deal for Jungkook.

He continued, his voice still devoid of any emotion. He was probably still really furious about Jungkook leaving the States so abruptly, "I'll send in my private jet tomorrow. You can come here day after." 

Taehyung's hand was trembling in Jungkook's tight hold, his breathing a little laboured. He peered his eyes away from Jungkook and looked towards the sky, finding peace in nature displaying his favourite colour. He took a sip of his coffee, in an attempt to control his breathing and steady his pounding heart. He was scared, scared to lose Jungkook. Not just when he went to another country. But scared to lose him forever. 

Jungkook spoke again, his voice raised in disbelief at his parents' almost childlike behaviour, "Dad! I have university! My life is here in Seoul. Why do you want me to come there?!" 

Taehyung listened to the conversation silently, a small, kindling fire of hope burning deep within him. But when he heard Jungkook's father's reply, he knew this was a gone case.

"So I can teach you business."

Jungkook scoffed exasperatedly, having the courage to defy and raise his voice at his father on the phone, "You told me the same thing the last time you called me there. You didn't teach me a thing! All I got from that experience were negative, haunting memories." 

Taehyung looked at his lover empathetically. He could almost see through his brain as if he had X-ray vision. The multiple thoughts blooming and exploding in Jungkook's mind as he tried to wrap his head around what exactly his parents wanted. What he wanted. 

Throughout the conversation, not once had Jungkook left Taehyung's hand or loosened his grip. Taehyung looked down at their interlocked hands, silently praying that they stay the same forever. For he couldn't imagine himself without Jungkook. He held his hand tighter and looked at him with confident, determined eyes. He needed to be strong so Jungkook could feed off his strength and feel the same. 

Jungkook looked at Taehyung when he tightened their hold and gave a short, grateful smile. Taehyung just nodded his head in return.

The line was silent for a bit before Mr. Jeon's voice echoed through the speaker again, "What's there in Seoul that you can't readily leave that place? Your family is here! What is so important there that you can't leave?!" 

Jungkook widened his eyes in disbelief and anger, shame surging through him at the fact that this pathetic man's blood was coursing through his veins.

He closed his eyes and gulped, cooling down his boiling anger before he spoke, "My family is not there. My family is here. My family is Taehyung, and no one else." His voice was firm. Words so strong it felt as if they were blades thrown and getting stuck in a wall. Just like he wanted his words to stick right in his father's brain.

Taehyung looked at him softly, moisture glistening his eyes under the dim sky. He rubbed his thumb in circles on Jungkook's hand to comfort him. 

"Taehyung?! That good for nothing boy you call your boyfriend is your family and not me? Who gave birth to you?!" 

Taehyung gulped on listening to the harsh insult thrown at him but continued to caress Jungkook's hand, choosing to ignore the words.

But Jungkook couldn't ignore something like that, could not ignore an insult to his world. All the strings holding him back from losing his temper snapped right away and he growled. His voice so dangerous it had his father gulping on the other line, "Do not say a thing about Taehyung. This is the second time I'm telling you this and I won't hesitate to raise my voice and throw curses at you if you do it again."