Fourth Year // Chapter 5

"Your attention, please! I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory ... is what awaits the student who wins the Triwizard Tournament but, as said before the student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks."

"Wicked!" Seamus and Dean said at the same time. I sighed, now two of my best friends were wanting to enter. I rolled my eyes.

"For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the Department of International Magic Cooperation, Mister Bartimus Crouch." Mr. Crouch got up to speak but before he could even get a sound out the mystical ceiling started to turn into a stormy setting rather than the stary sky it normally was. It was quickly cleared up though as someone who just entered the room waved their wand turning the ceiling back to normal. We glanced and saw it was none other than Mad-Eye Moody.

"Bloody hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody!" I said, with my mouth wide open.

"Alastor Moody? The Auror?" Seamus questioned. We all just nodded still in shock as Moody went to greet Dumbledore and took a drink out of his flask.

"What's that he's drinking do you suppose?" Neville asked.

"I reckon it's not pumpkin juice ..." I said softly. Once everyone had calmed down and was done staring at Moody, Barty Crouch stood once more and started to speak.

"After much deliberation, the Ministry has concluded that for their own safety no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put their name forward, in the Triwizard Tournament. The decision is FINAL!" A bunch of students started groaning and shouting at his words.

"THAT'S RUBBISH!" Fred yelled.

"You don't know what you're doing!" George yelled after his brother. I sighed a little bit in relief, knowing they weren't going to get themselves killed.

"SILENCE!" Dumbledore yelled. "The casket, if you please, Mr. Filch." Mr. Filch rose from his spot in the far corner of the Great Hall and started wobbling to the front of the room carrying a great wooded chest encrusted with jewels.

"A casket?" Hermione said. "That's more of a trunk than a casket!"

"Yeah. I mean unless that's where they lay the wizards and witches who died in this blasted tournament!" I said.

"The three tasks will be spaced throughout the school year, and they will test the three chosen champions in many different ways. Their magical prowess --- their daring --- their powers of deduction --- and of course, their ability to cope with danger." After those words left his mouth the room was deadly silent. So silent that a single drop of a spoon could make half to students and staff jump up with wands at the ready to defend themselves.

"The chosen three students, one from each school, will be selected by an impartial selector: the Goblet of Fire." Dumbledore pulled his wand out of his cloak and tapped the top of the casket three times. The lid slowly creaked open. Dumbledore reached his hand into the casket and pulled out a large, roughly hewn wooden cup. He closed the casket and placed the cup on top, and with a single wave of his wand blue-white flames started dancing around the brim of the cup.

"Anybody wishing to submit themselves as champion must write their name and school clearly upon a slip of parchment and drop it into the Goblet," Dumbledore said. "Aspiring champions have until this hour Thursday night. At this time tomorrow, the Goblet will return the three names it has judged most worthy to represent their schools in this tournament." He paused for a moment to let that information sink in.

"To ensure that no one underage will give in to the temptation of entering, I will be drawing an Age Line around the Goblet of Fire once it has been placed in the entrance hall." The students once again groaned. "Finally, I wish to impress upon any of you thinking about entering, I urge you not to enter lightly. Once a champion has been selected by the Goblet of Fire, he or she is obliged to see the tournament through to the end. The placing of a name in the goblet constitutes a binding, magical contract. Once chosen, there is no turning back. From this moment forward, the Triwizard Tournament has begun." 

We all started getting up to leave when I noticed Cedric waving me over. I told Dean I'd meet them in the Common Room after I talked to Cedric. Once they were gone, I approached him and hugged him. 

"What's up, love?" I asked. 

"Nothing." He shrugged. "Just wanted to hug you." 

"Uh-huh. Sure, that all you wanted to do." I laughed. "Seriously, what's up?"

"Well, I guess I just wanted to tell you ... I'm going to enter the tournament." I froze. I looked up at him and blinked. I couldn't even really process what he just said, all I could do was stare into his grey eyes. "Lori? Are you okay?"

"No," I said backing away. "No, I'm not okay Cedric. You just said you were going to enter a bloody tournament that could kill you!" I shouted at him. He just sighed and reached for my hand. I yanked it away and shook my head. 

"Lori, I'm-"

"Save it!" I snapped. "I-I can't handle this right now. G'night Diggory." I said before turning and running up the stone stairs to the Gryffindor Common Room. I muttered the password to the entrance and ran in, not even paying attention to those around me. Until I bumped right into Neville.

"Whoa! Lori? What's wrong?" He asked holding my shoulders. I pushed him off and just ran up the stairs to my dorm room. 

~*Neville's POV*~

I watched as Lori ran up the steps, with a boiling rage in my chest. I grabbed my wand from the side table and stormed out of the door. There was only one person she was seeing after dinner, and that was Diggory. 

I turned the corner at the bottom of the stairs and could just make Cedric's shadow turn a corner. I don't know what got into me, but I just shouted.

"DIGGORY!" He turned back and saw me. 

"Oh, hey Longbottom." He said casually raising his hand. 

"Save it!" I backed him into a wall and passed the tip of my wand into his chest. "What did you say to Lori?! What have you done to her?!" I shouted, the anger just dripping off my every word. 

"Look, all I said was I was doing the Triwizard Tournament. I didn't think it would send her on a breakdown!" He defended. 

"You didn't think?! Do you even know her at all?!" I yelled.

"I know her better than you do!" 

"Really? So you know she loves Magical Creatures? You know her deepest wish is to help Professor Flitwick with Charms class, then proceed to TEACH Charms when he retires? Oh, or how about she loves to sit in front of a fire, no matter the time of year, and read books or tell stories?"

"Longbottom I-"

"How about this, do you know she would do anything for her siblings, and friends? She would literally DIE for them if it came down to her or them! She loves cuddles, music, dancing, and eating candy! Name something else she likes, I dare you!" 

"Me, obviously," Cedric replied. 

"Oh sure, go for the easy answer." I scoffed as I backed off. "You know what, you don't deserve a girl as wonderful, pretty, brave, loyal, and humorous and Lorrinda!"

Cedric looked me up and down before scoffing and rolling his eyes. 

"Could you be any more obvious?" he said.

"What?"

"Longbottom, it's obvious you like Lori ... and not just as friends." He walked closer and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Now, I'll make you deal. I'll make her life amazing, and still enter the tournament. While you stay her best friend and give her support when she needs it. Deal?" 

His hand extended out waiting for a handshake. I lowered my wand and looked at him. He was looking me right in the eyes, which got me thinking he was serious. I placed my wand in the left pocket of my pants and shook his hand. 

"Alright, deal. However, if you do anything to hurt her ... I won't hesitate to hex you into oblivion." I didn't wait for a response, I just left and headed back to the Common Room. Halfway there, I realized fully what I had just done. I had truly let my inner Gryffindor shine, I guess. Maybe Lori was right, maybe I am a true Gryffindor.