Sixth Year // Chapter 21

"That was awful," I said walking back into the common room with Neville and Dean after the funeral. Esme attended and walked away with Seamus as soon as it ended, so it was going to be just the three of us for the last day. "I do not think I have seen so many grown wizards and witches cry, and I have attended my Great-Auntie Muriel's tea parties."

"There were rumors that with Dumbledore gone certain actions will be taken against Muggleborns both here at the school and well all over," Dean muttered sitting down on the sofa. "I heard Moody mentioning to Andromeda Tonks and Ted Tonks that he might consider going into hiding now."

"The wizarding world is going to shit." Neville sighed sitting beside Dean. "But I doubt you would have to go into hiding. You're Thomas the Tank Engine!" Neville said making Dean laugh slightly. I sighed and put my arse between the two of them so I could be in the middle. I wrapped my arms around bother their shoulders and just held them.

"What's our vow?" I said, both smirked and we began to recite our friendship vow.

"Through the night, We remain each other's light, Through the evil, We remain each other's joy, It could be years or even decades and still, We will come running up that hill, No matter when, No matter where. We will be friends until the very end!" 

We all just smiled as we linked our hands and watched the fire as it crackled and popped. After about twenty minutes of just sitting with each other, Ginny walked over to us and stood in front of me. Just by how she was standing I could tell she was in need of a sister, so I got up from the sofa and followed Ginny up to her empty dorm (her roommates had already been pulled out of Hogwarts already leaving her alone). When we got there, she shut her door and just flopped onto her bed.

"What's the matter Gin Gin?" I asked getting beside her and taking her hand. Ginny just sighed and brushed some hair out of her face.

"Is it stupid to cry over a guy, who you just started dating, when he said it would be better to not date anymore due to the upcoming war?" she muttered. I looked over at her and sure enough, she was starting to tear up a teeny bit. 

"Depends on who it is, Gin," I said squeezing her hand. However, the way she remained dead silent after I asked ... it gave me my answer. "You finally started dating Harry haven't you?"

"Dated. He broke up with me during the funeral."

"He what?" I said sitting up. 

"He said 'It would be putting you at too much risk if we continued to be together'." 

"Pardon me one moment while I go slap a Potter." I got up from the bed and stormed out of the door and up the small stairs dividing the years and throwing open the door to the sixth-year boy dorms. As it banged against the wall, Ron and Harry both looked over. "You." I glared at Harry. 

"Shit." he sprinted towards the bathroom door, but I quickly used my wandless magic abilities to shut and lock the door before he could even get a foot from it. Harry went paler than Malfoy's hair and ducked behind Neville's empty bed.

"Whoa there Lori, calm down," Ron said getting up and blocking my way to Harry. "Whatever he did, does not mean you can kill him."

"He has broken Ginny's heart," I growled looking past him and directly at Harry. As those words left my mouth, Ron turned back to look at Harry. He opened his mouth and muttered one phrase.

"I'd run if I were you, Potter," I smirked as I could just tell that Ron was livid with him and was most likely giving him an evil smirk. Harry yelped and sprinted out of the dorm room and down the stairs. After about two seconds we tore after him, tackling him in the common room. Nevile and Dean both started laughing as Harry tried and tried to wriggle out of our grips but alas, he could not. 

"How dare you!" I spat turning him over and placing my hand on his chest. "We agree to let you date her, all for you to go and break her heart?!"

"It's just not safe! Bad enough I'm dragging you and Ron along for the danger."

"I never said I was going with you!" I shoved myself off of the ground and just paced. "Harry, if you let this get in the way of the love you two share now ... then you may lose her forever. Do you really expect her to sit and wait for you?"

"Well .... yeah?" Ron slapped him on the head before I could. 

"You're thicker than Lori was mate," Ron said. 

"As much as I hate to agree with Ronald over there, he is correct. Harry you can't keep pushing away all of those people who care about you just out of fear of them getting hurt." I said with a sigh.

"It's hard, okay! It seems like everyone I love keeps getting hurt or dying! I do not think I could live with myself if any single one of you got hurt for me." With that, Harry stormed out of the common room with Ron right on his heels. I sighed and released the bun that my hair had been in and let it fall around my shoulders. 

"Lori, what did he mean by he dragging you and Ron along for the danger?" Neville's voice came from behind. I quickly turned to see him leaning on the back of the sofa, staring at me. "Lori, don't tell me you're leaving me..." Quickly  I rushed over and wrapped my arms tightly around his body and I just hugged him. 

"I could never leave you," I whispered. "But -"

"But?!"

"Calm down!" I shushed him and pulled him up the stairs to the first landing. "Over the summer, I have to make a difficult decision, and well ... no matter what the outcome is ... just know I will always love you."

We hugged again before we both went to our dorms to change clothes, and pack any last-minute things for the Hogwarts Express ride home tomorrow. As I packed away the scrapbook that still lay on my desk I opened it up and glanced at the pages that were going to fill my seventh and final year at Hogwarts. 

They were

I know I told Neville that I had to make the difficult decision over the summer, but I just knew that the decision was already made for me. I couldn't leave Ron alone, if something went wrong, I have to be there to protect him. If anything happened to him and I wasn't there ... I feel like no one would ever be able to forgive me ..., especially myself. 

So I placed the scrapbook underneath my Quidditch Robes and closed my trunk. It hurt me to know I would never be putting on the Gryffindor Quidditch robes again, never be flying our the pitch with my teammates, but worst of all ... not being able to cheer on Ginny as she played. 

Guess that's what happened though, right? Eventually, you have to leave the things, people, and hobbies behind and continue to grow and live without them. Not getting my final year at Hogwarts, not getting to enjoy my final season of Quidditch, not getting to say a proper goodbye to my friends, and not getting to ever set foot back within these walls as a student is something I would never wish on anyone.