Fifth Year // Chapter 24

I was sitting up in the dorm staring out the window as the sky was turning from light to dark. I tried to count the stars as they appeared, tinkling in the starlight. However, I couldn't keep track as I had to keep wiping my eyes. I had probably done the most idiotic thing I could have ever done in my entire life, and was trying not to cry my eyes out. 

"It's not the end of the world Lori," Hermione said, barely even glancing up from her studies. "I'm quite sure Neville will understand and realize that he should've waited until after everything."

"But Mione," I whined flopping on my bed, "I literally told him, 'I could care less about any dumb old Mimbulus Mimbletonia!'"

"Lori, I am sure Neville knows you didn't mean it, you were just stressing over your Charms O.W.L which is tomorrow!" snapped Hermione. "Now if you could just calm down and take a breath you'll see what I've been saying for the past 2 hours!"

"What if he breaks up with me?"

"Oh for Merlin's sake, Lorrinda!" Hermione said slamming her book shut and getting up off the bed. She walked over to my bed, yanked me off, and pulled me out of our dorm and down to the common room where all the other fifth years were up studying. Once we got down there, Hermione walked right over to the desk that was left of the fireplace and aimed me right at the person who was sitting there.

"Neville, tell your girlfriend she is overreacting," Hermione stated while tapping her toe impatiently. 

"Overrating about what?" Neville said placing his quill down on his charms book. 

"For the past two hours, she's been up in our room, crying thinking your upset with her over what happened just after lunch."

"Upset? With you?" Neville stood up and wrapped his arms around me. "Lori, I may be dumb sometimes ... but even I understand it was the stress talking not Lorrinda." Neville tapped my nose and snuggled me into his chest. I wiped my nose and looked up at him.

"S-s-s-so you're n-not upset with me?" I practically whimpered.

"I could never stay upset with you, Princess. Never in a million years." Neville placed a kiss on my forehead and lead me back to his seat. "Now, can I bother you for some quick help for our exam tomorrow?"

***

The next few days had been going splendidly, Fred and George made their grand exit from school during our Charms O.W.L., while severely pissing off Umbridge. We got through many of the toughest subjects rather quickly, Transfiguration, Care of Magical Creatures, Potions, Charms, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Divination, and Hermione even made it through Arithmancy and Ancient Runes! It was now Wednesday and Neville, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and myself along with a few other fifth years were walking into our Astronomy Theory exam. 

I yawned loudly as I had been up half the night practically teaching Ron two whole lessons that he, "didn't remember getting taught". So I was tired and knew this was going to be a long exam. However, since Astronomy has always been easy for me, I got through it rather quickly and just had to sit and wait for the time to be up, so we could be released. After the exam was over, I rushed out and went straight to my dorm and burrowed under my covers to take a nap for the practical exam that night. 

"You may begin now, fifth years!" Professor Tofty said starting his timer on his pocket watch. I immediately started looking through my telescope and writing down all the stars I could see. I had just filled in the position of the star Regulus when I heard Harry let out a small gasp. I took a chance and looked to see what was causing him to gasp and saw some Aurors sneaking up on Hagrid's hut!

"They aren't ..." I muttered watching them only inch closer to the hut. I glanced around to see now Hermione was transfixed on the situation as a loud commotion could be heard.

"Ahem - twenty minutes to go, fifth years!" Tofty's voice shrilly called out, though I didn't really care as all but three stars were filled in on my chart when another commotion was heard. Spells were getting sent at Hagrid's hut about at the rate of someone coughing after nearly drowning! Suddenly the castle doors banged open and someone came running out, whom we couldn't see just yet. 

"Now really - sixteen minutes left!" Tofty shouted again. 

But nobody paid him the slightest attention: They were watching the person now sprinting toward the battle beside Hagrid's cabin.

"How dare you!" the figure shouted as she ran. "How dare you!"

"It's McGonagall!" whispered Hermione. 

"Leave him alone! Alone, I say!" said Professor McGonagall's voice through the darkness. "On what grounds are you attacking him? He has done nothing, nothing to warrant such -"

Hermione, Parvati, Lavender, and myself all screamed. No fewer than four Stunners had shot from the figures around the cabin toward Professor McGonagall. Halfway between cabin and castle the red beams collided with her. For a moment she looked luminous, illuminated by an eerie red glow, then was lifted right off her feet, landed hard on her back, and moved no more. 

I watched in shock as Hagrid grew even more livid and smacked some Aurors out of the way before running off into the night. All the time Umbridge was standing by shouting at them to get him and not attempting to help them or show even the slightest concern for McGonagall. With a heavy heart, I turned my focus back onto my star chart and just managed to fill in the last three stars before the examination was over. 

"I can't believe the nerve of that bitch!" Lavender seethed as we made our way back to the Common Room. "Not only sneaking up on Hagrid in the middle of the night but stunning McGonagall! She could die from four stunners to the chest!"

"She won't die, Lav," Parvati said comforting Lavender. "I'm beyond sure that Pomfrey will do all she can to help McGonagall."

"I hope, I don't want to be here if McGonagall is gone." Neville piped up. "She's one of the few Professors that are willing to give me extra help outside of class time. I lovingly placed my hand on his back as we entered the Common Room before bringing him over to a sofa and Letting him lay down with his head across my lap. As I brushed his hair everyone kept talking, I wasn't paying attention until Dean practically shouted something. 

"Hey! Tomorrow is our FINAL O.W.L!" The Common Room erupted in cheers as people began dancing around and cheering the thought of no more O.W.L.s for the year. Since it was only History of Magic and not a two-part exam like the others so it wasn't set to begin until after lunch. 

"I'm going to go sleep for ten hours, I'll see you all tomorrow afternoon!" Ron said raising his hands in the air, Harry followed him up along with Dean and Seamus so I offered to let Neville go but to my surprise, he was already snoozing in my lap. 

"Too cute," Lavender said as she passed by.

"Hey, Lav?"

"Yes?"

"Could you bring down my snuggly blanket? I have a feeling I may be here for a while and want to try and sleep a little bit." I said looking down at the now ball of Neville as he started to curl up.

"Sure thing Lori," she replied with a smile before heading up to the dorm. Seconds later she came down with my blanket and handed it to me. I wrapped it over me and tucked a little bit around Nevy. Once the common room was empty, I leaned down and kissed his cheek.

"Night Darling."