Fourth Year // Chapter 18

Months have passed and it is now the day of the Third and final task of the Triwizard Tournament. Even against the protests of the many individuals after the discovery of Mr. Crouch's body, it did not slow down the tournament. 

I woke up early so I could just have some time to myself before the stress of sitting and waiting for the champions to get finished with the task (which was apparently a maze). I walked down to the common room and sat in front of the fire, thinking about a conversation I had with Cedric a few nights prior.

"Cedric, please!" I cried out as we were walking down by the lake. "Just think about this, it's... it's irrational!"

"What's irrational is thinking that I could die during the task, Lori. I mean, the only person who almost died has been Harry!"

"That doesn't mean you couldn't die, Cedric! You're not immortal!" I snapped standing in front of him. 

"I never said that I was, Lorrinda!" 

"Well then stop acting like you are!" I shouted. "God, Cedric! I'm just trying to express that I am worried about you!"

"Well, I'm not a child! Go be worried about Potter! I'm more than capable." I rushed forward and grabbed his arm and yanked him up.

"Harry isn't my boyfriend, you are! Listen, I've had an awful feeling in the pit of my stomach since everything that happened over the summer ... and it's only getting worse every minute we get closer to the third task!"

"Lori -"

"ALL I'm asking is that you don't go out of your way to getting injured or go out of your way to get into a dangerous position. That's all I'm asking for Cedric." I said pleading to him now. 

"I promise, Lori. Alright?" He leaned down and kissed my forehead. "I'm going to be okay, Lori. I promise."

Ever since that conversation we hadn't talked much. He's been busy with his studies and friends, while I've been trying to stick closer to Ron and my friends. However, that pit in my stomach was only growing and I was starting to have doubts about going to watch the task.

"Morning Lori!" Neville's voice called from the stairs. I sighed in happy relief as he always seemed to appear when I needed someone to help cheer me up. 

"Morning, Nevy," I said as he sat down beside me and laid his head across my lap.

"How's my amazing best friend doing this morning?" he asked.

"Worried ... you know that feeling that everything is going to go wrong at once?" I asked and he nodded his head. "Well, I've had that feeling almost all year ... and it's only been getting worse."

"Everything will be fine Lori." Neville sat up and hugged me. "Even if something should happen, you've got friends and family to help you through everything."

"I know that Nevy, it's just ... I'm scared! What if Cedric gets hurt?! Badly!" I cracked my knuckles. "Even though he is not my soulmate anymore ... I still love him Nevy. I don't even want to think about a life without a letter from him once in a while."

"And you won't ever have to! Lori, the actual chances that something could harm or possibly kill Cedric are very low. He's smart, cautious, and very VERY brave." Neville adjusted his position and grabbed my hands. I couldn't help but smile as his hand wrapped around mine. Something about how his true love and caring towards me just radiated off of his hands ... it almost made all the bad feelings drift away. 

"Thanks, Nevy." I leaned over and kissed his forehead. "You're truly the best person I could have in my life." I hugged him tightly before deciding to head back up to my room and wait for Hermione to wake up (which wouldn't be too long).