Fourth Year // Chapter 6

~*Lori's POV*~

After last night, I just wanted to avoid Cedric at all costs, so luckily we had a full schedule of classes and barely any free time to run into Cedric. The school year started off fairly well, Potions, Charms, Divination, Transfiguration were all quite easy. I was most excited and nervous about Dark Arts with Professor Moody. 

"I wonder what he'll have us start off with?" Dean asked as we entered the classroom. 

"Hopefully he'll just talk about all the Dark wizards he caught!" Seamus said as he popped some gum into his mouth. 

"I don't know, he probably just wants to teach us and leave," I said as I placed my book onto a desk. "I've heard stories of him from Bill, he's a complete nut!"

"R-really?" Neville said as he sat down beside me. "Maybe I should skip class today then." He made a move to get up, but I placed my hand on his shoulder and sat him back down. 

"No! You're staying. I honestly don't think he can be that bad." 

Right as I said that, the classroom door slammed shut. We all turned to see Moody limping up the middle of the classroom. 

"I see you all slogged down to Flourish & Blotts like good little boys and girls and bought the textbook. Congratulations ... it'll make a fine doorstop." He grabbed a copy from his desk and slammed it down on the table in front of Neville and me, before turning to face the chalkboard.

"I'm Alastor Moody, ex-Auror, Ministry malcontent, and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" 

Moody's blue eyes scanned the silent classroom. I caught a good glimpse of his eyes and shivered. Something felt off about this man, and I just hoped this wouldn't turn into another year of saving Harry's arse.

"When it comes to Dark Arts, I believe in a practical approach." He paced the front of the room. "You may wonder what I mean by that. I'll show you. But first, which of you can tell me ... how many Unforgivable Curses there are?" 

The classroom remained deadly silent. I bit my lip as I felt Neville's hand grab mine. At first, I was shocked but then figured out he probably just needed some support. So I just squeezed his hand and smiled at him, even though I was in panic mode. 

"I might've known," Moody said. I looked over and noticed Hermione had raised her hand. "Go on, Granger."

"There are three, sir -" she said, looking at Moody with shock. "How did you know ..."

"Your name?" He responded while starting to circle Hermione's desk. "I know a bit more than that. You're top of your class -- correct?"

"Yes, sir ..."

"Naturally inquisitive?"

"Yes ..."

"Socially inept?"

"Well ..."

"And ... Muggleborn." Moody ended. Hermione just bowed her head and popped her knuckles. I glared over at Moody and scoffed. "And you are Lorrinda Weasley, yes?" His eyes now facing me.

"Um - yes sir," I spoke. 

"Firstborn girl to a mostly male family?" 

"Yes, sir." I glanced over at Ron who was adjusting in his seat.

"You're second in the class, just behind Miss Granger," Moody continued. "And you would be willing to go to any lengths to save your friends and family, correct?"