chapter 4

sitting down in math class was complete torture.

Today I didn't have the rain to distract me from my teachers obnoxious voice.

I was never good at math. I never understood why I had to learn why, y=mx+b. But I did have to pass two years of math to graduate.

Graduation. Graduating always scared me. I never knew what I would do after high school, I never thought that far ahead. I only ever thought in the present, never the future. Because J had no control of what could happen in the future, so what was the point?

I rest my chin on my palms and turn my head to glance at the time.

Five more minutes and the class will be over. It absolutely sucks have math for a first period. My brain can't function properly this early.

Deciding I should just relax, I turns my gaze out the window.

It isn't raining today but it's beautiful out. The sun was out but there was a slight breeze that didn't make it too hot.

I squint my eyes against the sun to get a better look at the trees across the campus.

I haven't thought of the creature since last night. A shiver runs up my spine and I involuntarily shudders, recalling that, thing.

I look at the clock once more to check the time,
*Tick*
*Tick*
*Tick*

And the bell rings throughout the room. The class gathers their belongings and shoves them into their bags as I does the same.

The class dispersed amongst the crowded halls and I follows closely behind.

As I push my way through the halls, I feel a slight shiver crawl up my neck.

I bring my hand to the back of my neck to feel the peach fuzz rising up.

I glance behind myself and scan the crowded halls, feeling as if someone is watching me.

But I see nothing other students shoving their way through the hallway.

I remove my hand from my neck and slightly shakes it while it's at my side, feeling as if it's asleep.

-

"Hi, Mr. Maverick." I greets as I make my way into the classroom.

It was no lie when I told my mom he was handsome. He really was.

He had dark hair that was slightly gelled back. He had a dark beard and a sharp nose with a slight bump on it, which only made him more attractive. Whenever he smiled, I caught sight of a single dimple on the left side of his cheek. And his eyes were a beautiful shade of hazel.

"Hi, Mrs. Aislinn, please take your seat." He says as I walk further into the classroom.

As I near my seat I notice how Dominic has yet to arrive.

I sit down and search my bag for materials. As i'm taking out my field trip permission slip, the door abruptly opens and I look up to see a flustered Dominic, who was breathing more heavily than usual.

"I'm so sorry i'm late. My teacher held me back in my last class so I ran here." He says through some breaths.

I chuckle as he nears his seat beside me,

"Why did your teacher hold you back?" I ask out of curiosity,

"It was about the field trip. You know how my parents aren't ever home. I asked if she was able to sign it the form for them, or me, whatever."

I chuckled at his words and ask, "Well did she sign it?"

"She sure did!" He exclaims as he waves around the form in my face.

I snatch his permission slip and walk up to the Mr. Mavericks desk to turn them in.

As I walk back, I say to Dominic, "I almost forgot to get mine signed, me and mom were busy talking about... dad."

Dominic looks at me with a sad smile,

Hey, you know I'll help you find him, no matter what. It's me and you Aura. I cant imagine losing a parent like that."

I smile at my friend in thanks as I settle back down in my seat.

-

"Get that out of my face." I scold Katlynne.

Katlynne continues to wave around the rolled blunt, and the smell was horrid. Katlynne laughs at my words and pulls out a lighter from her jacket pocket and brings it to the blunt that rests on her lips.

"Oh come on, I came outside to actually enjoy the weather and you're over here smoking that shit in my face." I say as I flick the lighter out from her fingers.

"Hey I was gonna use that!" Katlynne yells,

"How about don't smoke in my face, yeah? You already know I hate it."

"Okay lighten up will ya? I'm putting it away."