Chapter 10

Allaura Aislinn

I vomited in the corner of the cold cell again.
It's so damn cold in here. I haven't stopped shivering. My throat feels so swollen, my eyes burns and so does my leg.
It continues to throb and I feel weaker by the second. I haven't gotten a wink of sleep. I barely have the strength to push my hair away from my sweaty forehead.

The sound of keys rattling against the door makes my head jerk up.
And in walks Caspian.
He sniffs and crinkles his nose in disgust.
Yeah, try sitting next to a pool of vomit for hours, dipshit.
"What is wrong with you. I can smell the sickness off you." He spits out.
"How the hell am I supposed to know. I didn't eat anything or drink anything. That thing in the ocean bit me."
My throat burns as I rush out my words.
Weaker and weaker I start to feel.
"The bite isn't poisonous to elfins."
"And have to ever met a human who was bitten by one before?" I say trying to laugh but it only comes out as a cough.

I groan and roll on my side, holding my head between my hands.
It hurts so damn bad.
"Where does it hurt." Caspian says.
"Fucking everywhere." I breath out.
My whole body throbs. It aches. Every movement. Everything just hurts.

Caspian kneels down beside my ankle and inspect the wound. He brings his face closer to sniff it and jerks his head bad. As if a strong oder hits him.
"There's — I think a tooth is stuck in your foot. That's what's causing you to be sick. I have to take it out." He says, still inspecting my foot.
I have no energy to argue. So I nod my head once, giving him permission.

He holds my leg down with one arm while the other hesitates above the wound. He thinks for a few moments before digging his fingers where it's tooth is.
I cry out at the sudden piercing pain that shoots up in my leg. I try to squirm but Caspian's arm holds me in place.
I sob as he digs around in the open flesh.

A few seconds pass before he yanks out a large yellow tooth from my ankle.
I don't stop crying though. My flesh is torn new. New warm blood coats the concrete floor and seeps into Caspian's brown pants.
I feel it gushing out. How much blood does a person need to spill to die? I can barely keep my eyes open, they keep fluttering close.
I look and see Caspian rip off a piece of his white tunic. He wraps my ankle tight and puts a hand over the wound to stop the blood from flowing out.
"We need to stay like this for awhile to let the blood clot." He says.
I have no energy to talk. But I know I won't die now. I feel strangely safe. So I let myself fall asleep. Feeling his warm hand resting on my ankle.

-

Walking into the house I see Elowen sitting on the couch with a bottle of alcohol in her hands. I frown at her but she stays sitting there. Staring at me.
"Mom? What's wrong? Why do you have alcohol."
"You did this" She hisses, "your father disappears and now you do too? Was that your plan all along? To leave me too?" She spits out bitterly.
I look around the house and remember. I was in a cell? Caspian was wrapping my ankle. Did I return home?
"You weren't gonna go look for him we're you. You wanted to join your father, isn't that right. So you both can leave me. So I can drown myself in liquor. ISN'T THAT RIGHT?" She bellows.
"Stop, stop. No this can't be real. It's a dream. This isn't real." I repeat to myself.
Elowen laughs bitterly at my words, "Of course it's real you stupid brat" — she says as she chucks the bottle at me — "you stupid little girl."
I duck at the bottle that flies in my direction and hear it break against the wall behind me.
"Mom, stop! Please!" I scream.
How is this real. It's not real.

This isn't real. No.

Wake up Allaura.
Wake up now.
Wake up.
Wake up!
WAKE UP!

I scream when I wake up. Sucking in deep breaths. Sweat covers my forehead and neck. I look at my surroundings, remembering.
I'm in a cell. Norbalian. Training.
"What the hell was that."
I snap my head behind me and see Caspian sitting against the railings. Both arms on his knees as he watches me.
I stare at his face. This is real. This isn't a dream.
I don't answer him. Instead I look at my ankle and see that it's wrapped in a clean piece of fabric. And I barely feel any pain.
Caspian must notice my confused state because he says, "I removed some pain. You would have slept for days if you were in that much pain. And we no need for the slack."
I turn to him, curiosity taking the best of me, "Where does the pain go?"
Caspian stares at me. At first I thought he would ignore me but, "It transfers to my body. In small waves I feel what you feel."
"Did — did it hurt you?" I couldn't help but ask.
"No." Was all he said before he stood and ushered me to do the same.

When I stood I could walk. It was sore but bearable. He grabbed my hands and unlocked the chains, dropping them to the floor.
He shoved the keys back into his pocket and opens the door.

We walk upstairs, the same way we came down and make our way to the front of the castle.

As we walk our way back to the stables Caspian asks, "Do you know how to ride a horse?"
My dad used to have me take lessons. I was a lot younger back then but I answer anyways,
"Yeah, I do."
Caspian nods his head in a direction of a beautiful black muscular horse.
"What's his name?" I ask Caspian.
"Bastian."
Beautiful name for a beautiful horse.
I run my hands along his shiny fur. It's so black and so beautiful. And he's so big. He has rings around some locks of hair and iron around his ears. Gold I soon realise.
The horse nudges me with his nose and I can't help but laugh as I continue to admire him.
I turn and see Caspian staring at me with curiosity in his eyes. But it vanished in a blink.
"Get on your horse. He will be yours and only yours from now on." Caspian says as he buckles my saddles.
I nudge his hands away with my elbow so I can do it myself. He scowls at me but drops his hands and backs away to his own horse.
His horse is a beautiful brown. The eyes are a beautiful shade of — of yellow.

Once i'm done saddling my horse, I hop on. I pick up the ropes that stir the horse and wait for Caspian to lead the way.

Caspian clicks his tongue at the horse and it starts forward.
I'm quick behind him, trying to get used to stirring the horse.
If the horse is fast enough. Will I be able to run?
I shake off the stupid thought that slipped through my head.
"The training grounds are on a land called indlyne. It's a two days and one night away, just outside of Norbalian. We will rest when I say we rest." Caspian says once I am by his side.
I say nothing as we continue down the path into the woods.

As we ride, I can't help but think.
What if I am not good enough for training? If I fail a task, will they kill me?
Not only that. Are my friends here? I remember them holding onto me, to keep me from going into the portal but they didn't land into the ocean with me.
If they are here. Wherever they are, I hope they're safe.
Because once I am able to, I will find them.