chapter 7

Allaura Aislinn

I closed my eyes against the winds. Free falling through the open air. Was it even air? That was something I did not know.
It felt as if I have been falling for week, months. And maybe I have. Maybe i'll be stuck here forever. In the oblivion.
There was no sound. No sound of the harsh wind that was trashing against my hair. Not a single speck of dust in the air. I couldn't even see my own hair that flew centimetres from my face.
I felt as if I have been falling faster now. The sound of running water was below me. Had I imagined this too?
No.
A voice spoke.
I turned my body down wards, or upwards? There was no way of telling. And the voice had been right. There was a ocean beneath me. dark blue, waves crashing harshly against its shore.
The panic settled in quick.
Too fast — too damn fast. Damn that water. It gave me no time to think, no time to scream as my body plunged deep into the oceans depth.
So cold. I wanted to gasp at how cold the water felt. So rutting cold- did I just say rutting?
I swam up. I didn't look down. In fear I might see something creep up the depths of the oceans crevices.

I trashed against the cold water that pierced my skin like a blade with each stroke.
So close. Almost there.
I sucked in a large breath as I surfaced the water. I struggled against the harsh waves that tried to suck me into the ocean once more.
I frantically searched for land, for anything to help keep me afloat.
there.
there was the shore. It looked so close, yet seemed so far. But that didn't matter, I pushed my legs and arms as fast as I could go. The roaring of the waves drowned out everything else. All I could focus on was getting to the shore. So far, yet so close.
Not yet — I have to keep going.
It's getting harder to keep my head above the water.
Almost there. Alittle bit more.
Something slithered against my leg. I let out a sob as I pushed against the water faster. The cold ached my bones, slowed me down against the current of the water.
So goddamn close.
I let out a another sob as I felt the ground beneath me. I stopped swimming and ran, fighting against the water that slowed me down. I was getting closer to the dry sand,
So damn close.
But something bit around my ankle, and yanked me back down into the water. I tried to scream but it was quickly muffled by the water that rushed into my lungs.
No, oh god no.
The thing slowly dragged me deeper into the sea. I had to do something. I didn't swim all that water for nothing. I hadn't almost drowned for nothing.

I punched, I kicked, I pierced my nails into the slimy flesh of the creature that was still holding onto my ankle. I barely felt the pain of its bite on my ankle. I can thank the cold for that.
I yanked and pulled my foot. But nothing worked. I ducked my head under water, running my hands along the sand in search for a shell, glass, anything.
Yes, a conch shell.
I pulled myself out of the water and stabbed the horrid animal over and over again. Thick blood started clearing the surface of the water. It was so thick it coated my hands, my face, my clothes.
It finally let go and went limp. I threw the shell back into the water and swam the short way back. I swam so fast, barely feeling the throbbing in my ankle.

I crawled onto the sand, coughing up the remainder of water that entered my lungs.
I lie still for a few moments. Regaining my breath. The throbbing in my foot slowly made it's way known. It got worse by the second.
I wasted no time as I pulled myself onto my feet, limping farther across the shore.
It was dark, wherever I was. But it smelt somewhat sweet. I could see stars above me, hear the wind sing as they danced along each other.

I kept walking forward. Pushing through the pain of my foot. My eyes were threatening to close.
So tired.
I will not sleep, not until I know where I am.
Was this another part of the woods?

I continued along the path, making my way past the sand and into the dark trees.
So goddamn dark.
I was gasping for air, fighting for it. Fighting against the cold air that entered my lungs.

I kept walking. Going straight and only straight. Hoping it'll take me somewhere — anywhere.
I snapped my head to the right as I heard rustling through the trees and bushes.
I halted, held my breath. I didn't want to breath.
And then I see it. A cloaked figure. The cloak covered all of its body. But I could see it's white long hair run down it's chest.
what is that-
I couldn't finish my thought as the thing charged straight for me. I wasted no time sprinting opposite way of it. My ankle ached with each step I took. The bones in my foot rattled against each other. Threatening to snap. I heard the snarling of the beast behind me, the hissing.
I kept running, I didn't dare glance behind me. Knowing it'll be right on my tail.

I made my feet run as fast as I could push.
It hurts so bad.
There was no place around me where I could hide. Only trees, only woods.
The steps behind me grew faster, closer. I let out a choked sob.
Please.
please.

As if someone answered my prayers. A rough hand yanked me to the side and shoved me against a tree. They covered my mouth with their hand while their other arm lay across my chest. Pinning me on the tree.
His body was pushed against me. As if he was trying to hide me from the creature that was after me. I didn't fight him. I don't think I even breathed as I heard the hissing, hissing of a snake move through the trees. farther and farther.
The stranger slowly peeled their body off me. They made no move to remove their hands from my body. I stared at their broad chest. I saw a white tunic, with a brown bag strapped along his chest.
I tried to peel away his hand from my mouth but he quickly removed his arm from my chest and put a knife to my throat. He did it so fast. Too fast.
"Utter a word, and I will slit your throat."
The voice rattled through my bones. Tears pricked the corner of my eyes.
I just want to go home.
He removed his hand from my mouth but kept the blade pressed against my neck. He took out a white folded cloth.
I had no time to think as he pressed the cloth tightly against my lips and nose.
he's drugging me.
My eyelids fluttered close.
"Welcome to Norbalian."
We're the last things I heard before darkness took me.

-

Short chapter but what do you think!?

It'll get more intense from here on out.