Chapter 16

Allaura Aislinn

I woke up with a gasp. My whole body ached. I don't remember much. But I do remember seeing Caspian fall off the cliff, with complete fear in his eyes. And it was the most emotion I have ever seen off of him. I didn't think, I just dove for him. But after that, I only remember hitting ice and falling through water.

I hiss as I lift my head to look over my shoulder, but freeze at the sight of my back.

What. The. Actual. Hell.

Black — black wings on my back? Black wings. On. My. BACK!?

"What the fuck." I sputter out.

I look around, dizzy and afraid. Caspian. Where is Caspian. He couldn't have died, no.

"Caspian?" No answer
"CASPIAN!" I bellow.

I hear rustling and then, Caspian is kneeling before me. I scan him of any injuries, but he looks to be alright. I'm guessing the poison finally wore off.

I can't help but let out a relived sob at the sight of him. I thought he died. I thought I jumped off the cliff for nothing. I thought I would be alone, with these—these wings on my back.

"Can you move?" He asks.
"I—I can't feel my legs."

Caspian curses and goes to examine my legs. I look towards my back. The wings twitch from time to time. As if they have gotten hurt. They lay lazily on the ground behind me, one wing over the other.
The color. . . The base of the wing is a deep black, and fades to a lighter grey.
I try to move one of them, and the left one twitches under my command.

Oh god. Oh god.

"What the hell is happening to me. What the hell is happening to me." I whisper.
I keep chanting the same thing. My eyes look over the wings crazily. They protrude out my back, and there is blood at the base of the wings from my back.

I whimper at the sight and tears fall freely down both of my cold cheeks. I want to scream. I want to scream so loud.

And I do.

I lift up my head a screech. A flock of birds leave the tree at the sudden yell but I couldn't care less. My life is falling apart right before my eyes.

After I scream, I shut my eyes and panic. I try getting down any air, but i'm choking on my own tears. My vision becomes blurry which makes me panic even more.

I see Caspian now in front of me. Calling out my name but I can't hear him. I see his mouth moving but I can't hear him.

I shake my head at the scene and sob. I try to turn my face away but Caspian grabs my face in both of his hands.

"Allaura, Allaura! Listen to me, you have to calm down right now. You're in shock. In through your nose, out through your mouth. Yes just like that, keep going."

I follow what Caspian says. In through my nose, out through my mouth. As I do this I focus on his face, feeling a sense of calm come back to me.

I'm not alone.

I can't help myself. I whimper as I move my upper body towards him. He looks confused at first but quickly wraps his arms around me. And I just hold him. I lay my ear on his chest and listen to his heart. The sound of his heart beating, releases a calm through me.