Chapter 43

Aeryn Ralhea

I've been to dozens of taverns, and none held Allaura.

I push open the tavern door and look past the people towards the sky and notice how the sun is close to setting. It's time to go back.

I ground my teeth and push myself past every person in the crowd before finally making my way to the same alley. I turn the corner and bump into a body.

I grunt and shoot away but soon realize it's only Dominic.

"Oh hey." He smiles and wraps his arms around my shoulders.

I smile when my face is crushed on his chest and wrap my arms around his waist tightly.

I love his hugs.

"Okay lovebirds. Did you have any luck?" Landons voice rings out to her side.

Dominic chuckles but quickly frowns. "No luck for me. You?" He asks me.

"Nothing. I checked almost every tavern. She isn't in the city." I tell him.

"Of course she isn't in the city." A female says and steps out of the shadows.

Josephine leans against the dirty wall of the alley and takes off her hood, releasing her curly hair.

"Who are you." Dominic demands and I step in.

"Dominic, this is Josephine. And Josephine, this is my brother Landon and my friend Dominic."

Josephine lifts up her two fingers and salutes them.

"What is she doing here?" Dominic demands.

"She's gonna help us find Allaura."

"And you just decided to trust her?"

"Yes, Dominic. We made a deal. She helps us find Allaura, and we help her out of this hellhole."

Dominic looks away from me and narrows his eyes at Josephine who only grins right back at him.

"Alright so here's the deal." She says pushing off the wall. "Your friend, Allaura is it?" I nod. "Did she run off here? In hiding?" She questions.

"No. She got taken." I tell her and she nods.

"Then she isn't in the city. You wasted your time looking here."

"Then shes in the palace?" I question with a frown.

"Indeed." She grins wide. "And I can take you guys in there. I know just the way."

Dominic tenses beside me and I know he has many questions about my decision.

"When do we go?" I question.

"Well not tonight. You guys have obviously been looking for her all day and I don't need any of you to slack, or for any of you to get my ass caught. We go in the morning. Usually the guards are more tired then from keeping up all night and standing watch, so we move when the sun starts to rise. The guards will be drowsy off of sleep and they won't be fully alert."