Chapter 23

Allaura Aislinn

"Where the hell were you?" Katlynne demanded.

And so I told them everything that happened. The Fay, the healing, the ruins, everything.

After I was done explaining everything they just stared at me with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" Dominic blurts out. "Yeah i'm fine, none of us got seriously injured so." Dominic shakes his head in disapproval. "You and Caspian shouldn't go alone anymore, me and Aeryn should go with you guys, it'll be safer that way."

What Dominic is saying isn't a terrible idea. But it's all up to Alek, if he wanted to have them come with us he would. "It's all up to Alek Dom. Whatever boss man says, goes." Even Aeryn looks sad about the thought of them not attending mission with us.

"So, Katlynne how's training?" I say changing the awkward tension.

She grins at my question. "It's actually great. I've been practicing my bow and it came to me naturally." I smile back at her before turning to Dominic and Aeryn. "And you guys? How was everything while we were gone?" They both look at each other. "Boring." They answer at the same time.

I laugh and look behind me to see where Caspian has gone. He left about thirty minutes and still hasn't come back.

Weird.

"Hey, i'll see you guys in a-bit, yeah? I'm gonna go look for Caspian."
Before I leave, I don't miss how Katlynne scowls at his name.

I wave them goodbye and walk to the direction of our room.

I guess we won't be training today. We're both tired and bruised, but I don't want to miss a day of training.
I need to get stronger. If the Verl Fay are after me, after us, then I have to get stronger.

I stop mid-way on the stairs and turn back around to walk to Aleksandr's office.

I saw the way Alek looked at Caspian when he saw my arm. I understood what he felt.

Opening to door to his office, I realize he's alone. It's just him and me.

His eyebrows twitch up in surprise at the sight of me. "Allaura dear, what brings you here?" I smile at the nickname he's given me. "I need to ask you of something." He doesn't say anything so I take that as a sign to continue. "I don't want you to hold off on our missions." He frowns at my words. "Allaura..." he starts. "No. Here me out please. I need to get stronger. I train all day, each day a week, from morning to night. I do get stronger then but if I don't continue to go on these missions, I won't learn new things. I won't work under pressure that well."

We just stare at each other for a few moments before his face breaks into a genuine smile. "I like how you think. I just don't want you guys getting hurt on my mission. Many people do and you are new, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you, or Caspian for that matter." He explains.

He's right. I am new and I have much more to learn. But if I stay in training, and train my ass off in front of the people i'm safe and comfortable with, I won't learn new things.
I need to work under the pressure. I need to feel that fear and control it. But I won't be able to feel it while I only work in training.