Chapter 15

Caspian Alaband

      I wake up from the cold. I didn't sleep on the bed.
      I didn't want to make Allaura uncomfortable.

      It was my fault I didn't listen for her cry's. And I know that. She trusted me to protect her. Probably knowing I could fight and protect myself as-well as her. But I didn't come when she called. I didn't hear her, because I wasn't listening for it.

      During the time I was gone. I was speaking with Aleksandr. He issued a mission towards us. But I convinced him to drag it out another day so Allaura herself is more ready. More prepared.

      And now that mission is today.

      I stretch out my stiff muscles and stand up to wake Allaura.
      Aleksandr assigned us to check out a certain place in the woods. People who have crossed it, have gone missing. Or if they do come out, they don't come back out alive.

      It's not too far out of a ride. But if we want to catch day light, we must ride early.

      I nudge Allaura, "Wake up and get ready."
      She grumbles a few words and goes back to sleep. I sigh in frustration and shake her by her shoulder.
      Her eyes go wide and she takes my hand and yanks it so my body jerks forward. She brings her leg around my chest and pushes me so i'm pinned to the bed by her leg.

      I grunt as I hit the bed and Allaura pants hard. "What the hell, Allaura."
      Her eyes go wide with recognition and she removes her leg off my chest to scramble up.
      "I'm so sorry, I thought—though you were someone else." She rushes out.
      I push my body up and lean on my elbows and arch a brow at her.
      Her cheeks turn a shade darker and she turns her head to start putting on her shoes.

      I shake my head and follow to put on my own shoes.
      "Today we're on a mission," —I say and her head snaps to me— "we ride on the horses there. Not too many miles, so we pack light. I'll give you your own blades. Personally for you. You'll also be given another set of clothing. Armour."
      Her eyes go wide at my words. "Where exactly are we going."
      "It's an area in the woods. People are constantly going through and not coming out. And if they do, they're dead." Her eyes are the size of boulders now.

      Her breaths become slightly uneven, I can tell she's trying to contain them. If Inwas a human I would have noticed, but I am not human.
      "What is it?" I ask.
      She shakes her head, as if she's trying to shake off a memory. "Back in the human world, in the city I lived. People always disappeared in the woods. We would never find their bodies. They just—they're just gone." she explains.

      Her words cut through her to deeply. As if she's had someone close to her disappear in the woods-
      "My father, he went into the woods and never came back out." she explains.

      Her own father disappeared in their world.
      "We don't even know if he's dead. People are too scared to search the woods." She shakes her head and breaths out a laugh, as if she's trying to contain her tears.

      I've noticed that about her. She laughs slightly, trying to contain her real emotions.

      I look out the small window and notice the sun starting to rise. We have to move.

      "Hurry up. Sun's already rising." I tell her.
      She nods her head, and without meeting my eyes she stands and walks to the door.