Chapter 18

Allaura Aislinn

The ride up to mountain was terrible. The horses from time to time would turn around, not wanting to travel up sick a steep hill filled with snow. But the longer we rode, the less snow we saw.

Caspian confirmed we were back in Indlyne, but a day away from camp. Which means we have to make camp over night.

"We can camp here." I say as we enter a clearing.
Caspian nods and carefully gets off the horse and brings Katlynne off with him.
She's awake, but she's still so weak. We have no decent food to give her, or any warm clothes. She hasn't slept in a comfortable bed for, i'm not sure how long.

I dismount my horse and start to unshackle my blanket. But before i'm able to, Caspian gives his own blanket to her.

"You don't have to do that, I can give her-"
"Shut up." Is all he replies with.
I scowl at him and he narrows his eyes, so I roll mine.

I lay my own blanket near Katlynne and look to Caspian who sits on a log, "Where will you sleep?" He looks to me with a bored expression, "I won't, i'll get fire wood, make a fire and keep watch." Is all he says before he walks away. "Don't be long!" I call after him. His response was a grunt.

I finally turn to Katlynne, who stares at nothing.
"What happened to you?"
She raises her eyes from the ground to look at me. Her eyes are glistened over with hushed tears. "Yeah," She chuckles, "what happened to me. Dominic, Landon and I were holding onto you, shouting at you to not go into that damn thing, but you did anyways and you dragged us here with you. I landed in the ice nations territory. They said I was human and locked me up in a fucking cave. And I was alone. I had no clue if any of you were alive. I still don't even know where I am." She stresses.

"I'm sorry that happened to you-"
"Are you?" She snaps.
"Yes Kate, I am. I'm not going to sit here and have you try to blame this on me. You weren't able to feel what I did. And i'm sorry, i'm so sorry you got locked up, but I found you now, you aren't alone."
She stares at me, no expression on her face.
"Have you seen Dominic?" She asks.
"Yes. I found him in—in training camp. He landed in a lake and some girl, no, Aeryn saved him. You'll meet her." She nods her head, "And what about you? Where's you land?"
I laugh under my breath at her question, "The fucking ocean." Her eyes widen at my answer.

I hear Caspian nearing us, "He's coming back with the wood. Sleep when the fire is lit, it'll be warm and you have a blanket." I tell her.
"I don't hear him?" Is all Katlynne responds with.
I shoot her a weird look but look in the direction—and I don't see Caspian yet.

I thought I heard him right there?

A second later I see him move along the trees.
How did I hear him.

I watch as Caspian lays down the fire wood in front of us. He doesn't talk as he starts to light the fire. He only lights it and sits across from us, watching.

I smile at Katlynne, "Get some sleep. You'll be safe and warm. We ride again tomorrow and you'll be able to sleep on a bed." She smiles at me and starts to get comfortable on the blanket.

But I don't sleep. I wait a few moments before I hear Katlynne's breathing go heavy. And then I walk to sit beside Caspian.

"Thank you. For taking care of her." I tell him. He was kind to her. He made sure she was comfortable, he made sure she was safe and carried her through the snow.
He shrugs at me and I flick a piece of hair that fell into his eyes. "Can I cut it when we get back to training grounds? It gets in your eyes." I say as I continue to flick some of his hair out of his face.
He swats my hands away, but holds onto one hand. The same hand that had a nail slice through it.
He frowns at the bandage around it, lightly brushing his thumb over the white fabric.
He looks up at me while he still holds my hand, "I'm sorry I didn't listen for you." He says.
I smile at him, "It's okay, Aeryn heard me-"
"But I should have heard you." He snaps.
"Cas, it's okay that you didn't listen. You thought I was safe in the room. There was no way you could have known. I know that now."
He shakes his head and looks at my hand again, frowning.
He lifts his other hand to unwrap the bandage, but before he does he looks at me, asking for permission. I nod, allowing him to continue.