Chapter 28

Allaura Aislinn

A couple of days go by before our next mission is assigned to us.

Both Caspian and I are standing in Alek's office, waiting for his orders. He looks to be in deep thought and hasn't said anything since we stepped foot in here.

"Our next mission, sir?" I ask confused.

He looks to me and narrows his eyes as he thinks even harder. "I want to change it up."

Caspian and I share a glance. "Change it how?" I ask him.

"Caspian will stay here." Alek states.

"Like hell I am." Caspian snarls.

"Calm down. Allaura won't go alone. Aeryn will attend this mission with her. Caspian will stay behind and train with Dominic."

Caspian hesitates before stepping back from Alek and straightens out. He doesn't look happy with the arrangements, but I know Aeryn is good with her swords so we'll both be fine.

"Caspian, go on out and tell Aeryn to come on over."

Caspian hesitates and I feel his gaze on the side of my head. But I don't look to him, I keep my eyes on Alek as he studies Caspian.

He finally averts his gaze and stalks out of the room.

"He cares for you." It's not a question.

"I care for him."

Alek smiles at that. "I'm glad. You're both good for each other."

I clear my throat, not wanting to talk about my relationship with Caspian to Alek.

A moment later Aeryn appears at the door. She sees me and asks. "What's this about?"

"Allaura has a mission. Instead of her attending with Caspian, you'll go with her. Consider it more training."

Aeryn's eyes grow wide. "I—I haven't been on a mission in months, so you think i'll be ready?" She asks worried. Instead of Alek answering, it's me who replies. "Have you seen the way you fight? You're like a machine. You'll be fine. The people out there," —I shoot my thumb towards the woods.— "need to be worried about you."

She chuckles and her shoulders lose their tension. I turn back to Alek. "Alright, what's the mission."

He suddenly grows very serious and leans his elbows onto his desk.

"Alright. It's dangerous, and I need my two best girls out there." He says eyeing us carefully. "I need you to listen carefully. . ."

And he explains it all.

                                       £

"This is a terrible idea. There should be more people with us. He's crazy to think we're able to do this-" I ramble to Aeryn as we both ride our horses to the mission site.

"We'll be fine. As you said, the people out here should be worried about me." She says.

"Yes but, one; the fucking Fay are still hunting me. and two; I have never, ever heard of a creature called Bricriu. What the hell does that even mean." I mumble.
Aeryn laughs. "The name actually stands for 'The Poisoned Tongue.' It's a water creature. It feeds off of water, lives off of it. The one Alek wants us to kill, lives in a deep lake."