Chapter 31

Allaura Aislinn

"You'll go here. This area is open but beware of the traps they've set up." Alek tells Caspian and I

A few days have passed and the next mission is already here. Verl Fay have been tormenting a village, so it's our responsibility to end them.

"And what about the one I brought here?" I ask Alek.

I haven't seen the Fay around, I didn't hear any screams.

"We have him locked away. He's alive, barely. We're still trying to get him to talk." He explains.

"Where is he locked up?"

Alek grins. "It's best if you don't know. Now, are you two ready?"

"Yes." Caspian answers from beside me.

After our heated night, I woke up alone. I'm not sure where he went but I found him at our training area waiting for me. We didn't speak about what happened and nothing else happened after that.

"Off you go then." Alek informs.

I turn around and head for the stables.

The mission doesn't seem too hard. Just a couple of Fay that need to be beheaded. I can only pray they're not female. Their venom weakens me, and without any tunic? I don't even want to imagine what could happen. It could get bad though. The other Verl Fay are out there, and they're hunting, hunting me.
What the Fay told me about not being strong enough for a human, is utter bullshit. Anyone can have the strength and speed, especially when you train. It makes no sense that they target me out of all people.

Caspian and I stride for the woods and I get lost in thought.

Landon still hasn't shown up at training grounds. I'm praying that he's found shelter in a village, preferably the village we are venturing off to now.

I dream every night of the fire. Thankfully I don't wake up screaming, but I do wake up with sweat layering my forehead.
It's the same nightmare. I see the fire, hear the screams and then see Landon disappear into the woods. I could look for years and not find him.

I could look for years and never find him because he's dead.

I hate the thought of him being dead. It brings guilt into my chest, so I push it aside. I don't think about him being dead, I think that's he's out there and taking refuge in a village, in anything. As long as he's not dead.

"You okay?" I hear Caspian ask.

"I'm fine." I lie and continue down the path.

He's been asking me if i'm alright for so long. And I wish I didn't have to lie. But he's been taking care of me too long. I'm always getting hurt and he heals me. Of course I get hurt in training, I get bruised and cut and he heals them. Sometimes I wish he didn't. I depend on him, he is my medicine. But living this lifestyle. . . You never know what can happen, you never know what can go wrong.

"Let's go on foot here." I say and hop off the horse.

We both tie the horse to the trees and walk on foot the rest of the way.
I keep my ears and eyes open for any sudden movements and take both of my daggers from my back and secure them in my palm.