Chapter 20

Allaura Aislinn

Pain.
That was the first thing I felt when I woke up.

I couldn't help but wince when I tried to move.
"Don't try to move, Aura." Caspian's voice rang out next to me.

I turned my head and noticed him sitting in a chair next to the bed I was laying on. Then I noticed how large the room I was actually in. "Where are we?" Caspian lifted himself off the chair and walked over to me and say at the edge of the bed. "In Norbalian. There's a safety wall surrounding the palace, that's why the Verl Fay couldn't enter." He explains.

I nod and shift on the bed but groaned at the aching of my whole damn body. "Why the hell does it hurt so bad." I stress and look at Caspian. "And how the hell are you still standing—or sitting right now." He shifts and uses the back of his hands to support himself on the bed while he leans back. "The training did a number on you. Your back is super sensitive due to—to you know. We have to work on your stamina." He says.

I think back to how it all happened. The Fay were able to heal. They said she helped them, someone—something helped them develop a new trait. Thankfully they aren't able to grow new limbs, so when we go to fight them, we have to cut off the heads to make sure they stay dead.

Fay killer.

"They knew me." I whisper to Caspian. "They called me Fay killer. They knew who I was." Caspian shifts his body so now only his elbow is supporting him. "They probably knew the Fay that you killed in the woods. They probably smelt their blood on you, their own scent." He explains. "What the hell are we gonna tell Alek. We failed the mission." I stress.

It was only the second mission he assigned. On the first one he was stressed that we got back late. But now? We only killed one Verl Fay.
I just hope our explanation is enough for him.

"Don't worry about him. We're staying here a few days anyways." Caspian says. "Wait, here? In the castle? With the Queen?" Caspian lowers his head and chuckles. "Yes Aura, we're staying here. But don't worry, you'll be sleeping here from now on."

I lift myself on my elbows and curse at the pain. "Who's room is this?" I ask while I take in my surroundings.

It's a large room. Much larger than the one at training, and the bed is much softer and bigger. The walls are painted a deep blue. Almost black, but it's a beautiful color and matched the room beautifully.
The sheets consist of dark blue and white.

They're so soft.

"This is my room."

My eyes pop out of their sockets. "Your room?" Caspian nods faintly as he also looks around it. "What. um—what exactly are you to the queen?" His eyes travel to mine before he speaks. "I'm here guard. I protect and serve her. Whatever she asks of me, I do. No matter the cost." He says. "Even if it'll kill you?" I try to joke but— "Yes."

I say nothing more about the queen and his duties to her. But I do ask. "Does she know about me?"
Caspian pursued his lips. "No. And for your sake. She will not know."

I sigh and carefully lay my back onto the mattress. But my back refuses to go down all the way.

I let out a frustrated sigh and turn my whole body so my forward is now pressed onto the mattress. "How long have I been asleep for?" I mumble against the cold pillow. "Not too long. We gave you some tonic. Oils would help your back too." He explains. "Well it's not like I can reach and massage my own back."
Caspian stays silent for a moment before speaking again. "I can. Unless you're not comfortable with it."