Chapter 50

Allaura Aislinn

"So what's your story?" I ask Jo while I stir my porridge.

"Well," Jo chuckles. "I guess you could say I was like Diona's slave." I shoot her a confused look. "She made me go on missions to spy on her enemies. She made me steal, and sometimes, if it got to that point, she made me kill." She winces as if she relived a memory.

"Have you spied on me?"

"Oh no." She says shaking her head. "I have heard about you, I heard them talk but I was never assigned to you. I'm not sure who was honestly, but someone was assigned to spy in on you."

"Yeah, I figured." I mumbled and stare at my hot porridge. "So, if you were her pawn, wouldn't you know her attack methods? Or any of her plans?"

Jo bites her lips, deep in thought already. And then her eyes widen.

"Wait, I think there might be something. I don't know where or when, she never said it, but I do know that when she attacks, she will not be alone. She had—has a whole army ready for you."

What the hell.

"But why. Why is she after me."

I still have absolutely no clue why shes after me, why i'm a damn loose end. She didn't explain, she didn't speak, she just told me I was a problem—her problem and she had to get rid of me.

"That is something not even I know. Not many people do." Jo says. "But if you go after her, or if you meet her in the middle of the battlefield, do not go alone. She said a storm was brewing, that means she is planning a war."

I drop my spoon with a dramatic force and shove my food away. "This is so damn frustrating. I don't want this. I'm not any threat to her, why can she see that!" I explode and shove away my seat.

My breaths come out raggedy and I feel the shadows pull at their chains.

Calm.

I tell it.

You'll be free soon.

The fire in my veins sizzle and I curl my fists, digging my fingernails into my palms.

"Are you alright?" Jo asks concerned and cautiously steps out of her own seat.

"Yeah, i'm fine, i'm fine. I just got abit mad." I shake the tension off my shoulders.

Release me.

The shadows sing within my bones.

Close.

I promise.

"I'm gonna go up and wake Caspian. You're good here?" I force a smile on my face and look to her.

"Yeah yeah, of course." Jo smiles and sits back down in her seat.

I sigh and rub my temples before leaving the kitchen. I woke up before Caspian today and decided to eat breakfast early. Jo just happened to be there at the same time of me. Too bad I barely had any breakfast.