Chapter 22

Caspian Alaband

Allaura didn't lie when she said the Fay were hunting us. I could hear their footsteps in the distance beyond the trees.
And there were much more than three.

I could make up the exact amount, but it was safe to say they didn't come back alone.

Allaura rode beside me. Cradling her left arm in her lap. I wish I could stop and treat her, but we can't risk it. She's in pain and I wish I could take it away.

I squeeze the side of my horse and force it to go faster, Allaura follows right behind me.

Their footsteps sound closer, and they keep getting closer.

How the hell are they keeping up with us.

"They're right on our tail." I can't help but snarl. "Do you have any clue how far away we are from training ground?" She asks. "Roughly three hours. But they keep getting closer."

She looks panicked now. She's weakened, her arm is injured so she can't handle two of her dagger, let alone use her left hand at all.

The faster we go, the faster their footsteps get. They won't stop hunting us.
And now they heal. And who was this 'her' the fay man was talking about.

There is the winter lord, the training master; Aleksandr, and my queen; Lady Diona. So I'm guessing there must be a new lady trying to take charge. And whoever she was, she was strong.

The footsteps start to fade from behind us. Getting quieter and quieter. Allaura sighs in relief and I can't help but follow her action.
It would have been bad if we got caught.

"Will you be able to stay up straight?" I ask her.

Small trickles of blood cover her armour and drip onto her upper thigh and the side of her horse.
She's pale. She licks her white lips. "I'll be fine." She chuckles out. But I can tell she's in pain.
So I don't think. I stop my horse and she does the same. "Hop off, being the reign of your horse and tie it to mine, then come here." I say in command.
"No it's fine-" she starts but I cut her off dominating the conversation. "I said, come here." Her eyes slightly widen at my change of tone but she slides off her horse and groans at the pain it brings to her oozing arm. She brings her horse to mine and ties the reigns together.

I put my hand out and she grasps it before I pull her body and place it in front of mine. I squeeze my horse and pay Bastian so they both ride together.

Allaura's back slides to my front and she chuckles. "Look at that. Another sense of deja vu Cas." I can't help but tense at the name. Nobody has ever called me anything other than Caspian so it's new to me.

But I don't seem to hate it.

I don't reply but carry on forward and pick up the pace. Allaura's hair has grown so it's now longer than her shoulder blades.

I can't help but think back to the time she cut my own hair. The way her hands went through it, the way she dominantly moved my head to wherever she wanted. The way she brushed off the small hair from my face.
I liked it.

And I can't help but feel slightly disgusted with myself. I feel this way for a human.

I grew up learning humans were disgusting and cruel. I learned that they were ruthless and despised our kind. So I grew up and learned to hate them.