5

Friday: 7:30 pm
-------------

"I love your hair!" a girl says to me as she turns the tap on, beside me.

I look at her through the shared mirror and offer a smile. "Thank you!"

She nods, but soon after asks again, "How much did you pay to have it done...if you don't mind me asking?" Her voice is so soft I almost didn't hear her.

I replace the applicator inside my makeup bag and take out the red lipstick to do a quick re-coat. "Oh, I'm sorry, it's my real hair."

Her eyes widen and her mouth opens to form a cute little 'O'. "Really? It's so neat! I could've sworn it was sister locs or something...I absolutely love it!"

Aw!

I've been sporting dreadlocks since the start of high school, thirteen years ago. It started as a rebellion against having to comb my hair all the time, but I soon fell in love and kept it.

My hair has drawn so much attention to me over the years, and I've received more compliments than I can count, but it's the first I'm getting one laced with so much enthusiasm. "Aw! You're making my head swell. Thanks!"

"You're welcome!" she says and smiles once more before she turns off the tap, dries her hands and walks out.

I'm left alone in the bathroom now.

It is minutes to eight and the party is still in full swing. I can hear the base of the music vibrating against the window.

I dance to the rhythm as I continue to reapply my makeup.

The vibe is right and I'm glad I came. After much convincing on Sherice's part. Nick was the one to suggest that we take our little "play play" party to Spanish Town Road.

I've always heard of these afterwork jams by JWray, but it's my first time actually coming.

I'm usually too tired after work on a Friday, but since it was Natalie's celebration, I thought I'd support by showing my face.

What was intended to be a thirty-minute pop by and leave, turned out to be a one hour and counting dash out and vibe sesh.

I look at myself in the mirror, appreciating my appearance. My hair really does look extra shinny and nice tonight. I like how it falls to the side and frames my face. The fact that I totally beat my makeup helps a ton too.

I had ditched my jacket earlier, so I was left in only the under blouse which had a lacy detail at the front and cut-out at the back. I loved the feel of the material which was why I'd bought it, but what I loved most was the boost it gave my small chest. The pants on the other hand fits me like a second skin; effectively hugging my curves in all the right places.

Call me conceited, but I look damn good!

The glow up from my broomstick-looking teenage self is real. And I'm thankful.

I take out my phone and snap an iconic dirty-bathroom-mirror selfie before the look stales.

I go to leave when I suddenly have an idea. Using the eyebrow pencil I had in my hand, I make a quick scribble on the wall near the bathroom stalls which brings back high-school memories. 'Manda wuz here!'

I smile as I leave the restroom.

Before I could even clear the corner properly, Sherice and Natalie pounce on me and drag me onto the dance floor as Laa Lee's 'Tip Inna It' blares through the speaker boxes.

This rhythm is lit!

I do not plan to waste a minute before the rhythm takes full control.