39

LUCAS P. O. V.
_________________

Sunday: 11 P. M.
-----------------

The promise I'd made to myself to let loose and have some good, easy fun tonight seems to hang by the wayside as my mind keeps drifting to Amanda.

While taking in the music selection and trying to bill a vibe, she had crossed my mind and decided to stay there; despite my vow to forget her.

I shuffle on the stool for yet another time, and pull out my phone.

Fuck it! Just call her...

I quickly dial the first three digits of her number, and her name pops up immediately. I click on it and watch as the rest of the digits populate the top of the keypad.

Taking a deep breath, I study the number on the screen, my fingers itching to press the call button and send off the call.

But I don't.

Instead, I bring the Magnum bottle to my lips once more and look out into the crowd on the dance floor before me.

The place is surprisingly crowded, being a Sunday night. The dance floor is no less buzzing, with people coupled up and gyrating to the rhythm and bass of the music pumping through the speakers.

The vibe is right, and I'm glad I agreed to come out and chill.

If only I could get my mind to settle, then maybe I'd enjoy that decision a bit more.

Damn.

Ashley comes up beside me and taps me on the shoulder. "Hey, do you plan to sit here and sulk the entire night?"

She has been chatty ever since we got here, trying in every way to get my attention. I almost didn't recognize her as the same quiet girl from the gym.

I guess liquor has that effect on everyone.

Makes you say and do things that's out of character.

That thought instantly brings me back to that night at the club and how bold Amanda had gotten after just a few beers and a Vodka pop.

I smile and glance at the number still sitting pretty on my phone screen.

Ashley takes a seat on the empty bar stool beside me and pulls her phone out, before tapping away at the screen. Her face is buried in her phone, and she seems focused on whatever she's typing. Whatever is it though, she seems to be in a hurry to get it across.

I shake my head.

Typical woman. Always in her phone.

Not even a minute later, my phone rings, and I turn around and look at the caller ID.

Shit!

My heart skips a beat.

Trying to calm my nerves, I let it ring out the first time. But it doesn't take too long before it goes off again.

I inhale a sharp breath and open the line, putting the device at my ear.

"Hey," I say, trying my best to sound as nonchalant as possible.

"Hey. Good night," her sweet voice comes through from the other end, filling my ear. "Sorry, I didn't get to call you back earlier. I was here and don't even know when I fell asleep."

A sense of immense relief washes over me.

I honestly thought you'd never call.

"Nah. That's all good. I didn't even realize it. I was caught up at the gym."