47

Thursday: 4:30 P. M.
----------------------

A feeling of accomplishment washes over me as soon as I click the deposit button, sending the 2-months' advance into the realtor's account.

It feels good knowing I've done something like this, and without relying on anyone but myself.

My mother would be so proud. She taught me that the first step into becoming a woman is to have a roof over your head.

In her words, you aren't a woman until you're pushing your own door. I used to find it annoying whenever she'd use that phrase to chastise me, but now I'm proud knowing that that is something I'm one handover away from finally having for myself. It really does feel good.

Speaking of, I need to call her and tell her the good news.

She's probably gonna flip when she hears I'm moving out leave her. As much as she loves telling me to go, no one loves having me around like she does.

I chuckle to myself and shake my head at the thought.

Mothers.

Speaking of mothers, I still can't help but replay all that Mrs. H. had said earlier.

Her confession is making me question a lot of things, some of which I'm hoping Odaine can clear up when he gets here.

If only he'd hurry the hell up. It has been over an hour since he agreed to meet me here.

Then they say women are always late.

I sigh and look at the time again.

By time yuh say who deh yah a night eno. And this man know mi nuh like drive a night.

The sound of me hissing my teeth echoes loudly in my ears, and I look up to see if anyone around heard.

From where I'm sitting, out on the covered patio, I have a clear view of the parking lot, so I can easily see when Odaine's car pulls into the complex.

The more I wait is the more impatient I get. I've contemplated leaving so many times since evening that I lost count, but I won't. I need to do this.

Sighing yet again, I take another sip of the bottled water set on the table in front of me.

I'm hungry.

And tired.

And really really annoyed.

The vents open, and the sweet coffee aroma wafts through the air and makes my mouth salivate, serving as a momentary distraction.

While I'm not much of a coffee drinker, right now, after the day I've had, I could use a nice cup of whatever it is they have on the menu that smells so flippin' good.

I look around for a waitress; the need for caffeine now consuming my mind.

I can never give enough props to the marketing genius that invented this strategy.

The smell alone is enough to pull anyone in.

Thank God it doesn't take a minute longer before I spot a waitress over by the table across from me taking the orders of the two women sitting there.

As soon as she's done, I signal for her, and she comes and takes my order.

I smile as she moves away, promising to return within a few minutes with the cafe latte and warm cinnamon bun I chose.

My eyes fleet over to the table, across from me, again, and I notice that one of the two women is the same woman I'd seen earlier. Only, this time she's with a different female. This one's of a fairer complexion and her femininity more subtle. She's pretty too. Just like her, except that she's a bit more natural.