89

Friday: 3:34 P.M.
-----------------------------

Finally!

Thank God...

Clicking out of the receipt I just printed, I log out of EDI and minimize the screen.

The last of the customers finally leaves, and I recline in my seat and sigh.

Yuh know tired?

It has not been a bad day, per se, but for a Friday it's surprisingly busy.

Friday for us is usually when the traffic dwindles, especially at this time of day, except for those who're trying to get things in place for the weekend or to avoid the Monday rush.

I look at the time: minutes to four, already?

Listen, if mi nuh go eat sum'n now, might as well mi nuh bother eat nothing.

As if instinctively, I yawn but fold my lips to stiffle it.

Alright, food time...

Unplugging my phone from the charger, I stuff it inside my skirt pocket and pick up my lunch bag.

Tha 85% deh must can hold mi 'til mi reach home, later.

"Mi soon come back," I turn and say to Danette who's sitting beside me, secretly bucking.

Aye! All waah gwaan, sleep a kill she eno.

She nods, barely cracking her eyelids to look at the lunchbag in my hand. "Think yuh never plan fi go eat."

Her comment makes me chuckle. "Act like yuh never glad fi the help. A go mi a go now 'cause mi a dead at this point."

"Yuh nuh mussi think yuh can live offa yuh fat."

I mock gasp. "Are you calling me fat, ma'am?"

"Then yuh slim?"

Mrrr!

"Get away--"

"Wait, Manda, a lunchroom yawh go?"

I nod, turning to face Alicia who interrupted me.

"Wait pon mi deh, mi a come too."

I look at her still tapping away at the computer, apparently answering to an email, and frown. "Girl, meet mi downstairs yawh 'cause mi a dead fi hungry and yuh nuh look ready."

Without waiting for her response, I buzz myself out and head downstairs to the kitchen slash lunchroom.

. . .

The microwave dings, as I open TikTok, alerting me that my food has been heated.

That was quick...new microwave yah a kick, man.

The sweet aroma of lasagne permeates the air in the small room.

My mouth salivates.

Tying my hair in a loose ponytail, I stand and move to retrieve my lunch. Just as I pull the container from the oven and close the door, the door to the lunchroom swings open.

"Girl, yuh know how long mi a call your extension!"

At the voice, I look over to my right to see the Receptionist --Oneika -- standing by the doorway with her hands akimbo.

I give her a small smile. "A wah? If a work, mi nuh waan hear though."
Mi done work fi the day.

"Which work?" she says, playfully rolling her eyes and frowning. "Smaddy leff sum'n fi yuh dung yah how long, and yuh think a now mi a call yuh fi yuh come collect it?"

Ruin On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara