19

Friday: 8:30 P. M.
----------------------

*Is it "next time" yet?*

I stare at the message on my screen. It had come in while I was scrolling through TikTok earlier, and now, even after I've taken a shower, eaten, and come to snuggle up in bed about to watch TV, it's still there.

What did you expect? That it would've miraculously disappeared?

*Who is this?* I type out a reply after about an hour of leaving the message unread.

Whomever it is must be patient as hell.

*Your secret admirer...* a text comes back saying almost immediately.

What is this? High-school?

Secret admirer my ass!

I hiss my teeth and punch forcefully on the screen as I type out, *Listen to mi, try stop text mi phone... Or else!*

I watch as the person on the other end types, stops, types then stop repeatedly.

I roll my eyes as the message finally comes in. To how long you a type, mi think a did a paragraph you did a type.

*Why are you so hostile, Ms. Smikle?😏*

Ms. Smikle? No man, a who this?

This person presumptuous bad!

*Mi say who the fuck is this?*

I can feel my temples ticking. I hate when strange numbers text my phone.

Nothing more than some little idlers nuh have nothing fi do on a Friday night. Too bad I'm not in the ramping mood.

I'm this close to blocking this number.

My phone vibrates after a while, signaling that another message has come in.

I open it and my eyes nearly pop out of the security of their sockets.

*Is this how you speak to the man of your dreams?*

It couldn't be...

I click on the profile picture faster than lightning. Why didn't I think of that from the jump?

Only, and unfortunately, to be met with a picture of a small table filled with liquors of all sorts... and nothing else.

Exactly.

Why would you even think it's him?

He doesn't even have your number, dumb-dumb!

I sigh and toss the phone onto the pillow beside me.

Pressing play on the remote, I watch as the opening credits roll.

My phone lights up again and I reach for it. Another text from the same unknown number is on the screen.

*Blue tick? Really? Now, who has no manners?*

Wait, so it is him? I can sense the tone through the screen.

*Lucas? *

*One and only. * The text comes back in seconds. It's like he's sitting with his fingers hovering over the keyboard anticipating my responses.

I roll my eyes but my lips still spread to form a smile.

*Why are you playing with me, sir? Didn't you see me asking who this is?*

*Maybe I feel happy. Who knows.*

Happy? To text me?

*Okay. A hear u.*