57

Thursday: 8:30 A. M.
------------------------

The sound of glass shattering wakes me with a jolt.

Springing to a sitting position, my eyes frantically scan the room until they settle on Lucas.

Mumbling profanities under his breath, he stoops and starts scooping the broken pieces onto the plastic scoop shovel.

The tantalizing fragrance of cologne fills the air and tickles my nose. I sneeze, and the sound catches his attention.

His eyes meet mine, but his facial expression remains hard-set, and the scowl on his lips deepens.

"Don't step off the bed, there are splinters all over the floor," he warns in his deep, authoritarian voice, before his attention is drawn back to the task at hand.

It is at his words that I realize that it was his cologne bottle that fell off the dresser and shattered to pieces.

Damn.

No wonder he looks so pissed.

I nod, although he's not looking at me.

"Morning," I say, with a small smile playing on my lips.

My throat feels scratchy and dry, and I can already tell I'm going to be hoarse. My voice is already an indication of that.

After all that screaming and crying last night, it's really no surprise.

"Morning."

That's all?

Just dry so?

I sense the attitude in his tone.

My smile dies immediately.

OK then!

Pulling the sheets closer to my naked body, I sit up further in bed, resting my back against the cool board behind me. "Are you OK?"

I'd be pissed if my perfume broke too, but is that why you're giving me the cold shoulder?

I don't appreciate that, sir.

"Yeah. I have to go to the office today." His tone is clipped when he says so.

Hmm...yuh seriously a give mi attitude fi nothing, Lucas?

A me mek yuh spray bruck?

I gawk at him, only now realizing how he's dressed. The sleeves of his white button-down shirt are rolled up to his elbows, revealing his strong tatted hands. He isn't wearing a blazer today, but the way in which the deep green pants he's wearing sits snuggly against his body looks nothing less than perfect.

A blazer would be overkill.

Lucas turns and dusts his palms together before facing the mirror once more.

Deciding to ignore the way he answered me, as annoying as it is, I ask, "Where are you working today?"

He has about three offices that I know about so far. One at the club, one at his auto parts place, and one at his logistics company.

Speaking of logistics...thoughts of Ashley come to mind immediately. And, I hope he won't be working with her today.

Please say the club.

Still observing himself in the mirror, he adjusts his tie and says, "Shipping."

O...K

So you will be seeing Ashley today then.