87

Wednesday: 3:15 P.M.
-----------------------------

"That nuh tight?" Shavel asks as we stop in front of my car.

Her question is directed at my hair ——the fresh retwist I'm sporting.

"No eno. It just look so, but it's not." I open the car door and toss my bag on the back seat. "It's open," I tell her as she goes to open the front passenger door but hesitates.

"Oh. Mi like it though," she tells me as she opens the door and slides into the seat while I do the same. "It neat bad."

Smiling at Shavel's comment, I say, "Thanks, Beb."

Stifling a yawn, I pull on the strap of my seat belt.

Yuh know say mi hungry again though...?

Thank God I'm heading home. Because...no sah!

I cover my mouth as I yawn openly this time. No man, a wah really a gwaan? Giggling under my breath, I shake my head and wait for the car that's blocking me to pull out of the complex so I can come out too.

We've been let off early today because there's no water at the office.

Big place like this only have one tank.

I internally scoff at the thought.

It's always something with this place.

When it isn't light, it's water. Big and careless bad.

Not that I mind though. At least, it means I get to go home early.

Although I must admit that it feels weird heading straight home. Usually, I'd be on my way to the gym on an evening like this.

I sigh, buckling my seat belt across my lower torso.

Wah mi a go home go do ——

"Mi always a think fi loc mi hair eno, but mi nuh know if it woulda fit mi." Shavel's voice draws me out of my thoughts.

I give her a small smile, starting the ignition. "It will. Your face round so it woulda help shape it."

"Mi nuh know." She sounds unsure.

Well...

"Or yuh coulda try faux locs then and see if yuh like it."

Shavel beams from where she's sitting in the passenger seat across from me. "A true eno. That nuh bad."

Hmm...

As soon as I drive out, I roll the windows up and turn the AC on.

The radio connects to my phone and the sound Dexta's WiFi fills the car with its smooth melody.

I quickly skip it.

"Why yuh skip the song, girl?" Shavel asks with a frown twisting her lips. "A big song that eno!"

I know.

That song means more to me than you'd imagine.

I laugh off the feeling which spreads through me. "Mi just nuh feel the mood fi Dexta right now. Hush."

She settles in her seat as the other song starts.

I don't even know who sings it. I heard it once and liked it. It can gwaan...

"As mi hear Dexta, yuh know how long mi nuh go a one party?" Shavel asks, leaning forward and turning up the radio's volume a little.

Speaking of parties, in two weeks' time it's gonna be Lucas' birthday. And I can't help but wonder if he's throwing anything.