27

LUCAS P. O. V
------------------------
Sunday: 3:30 P. M.
-----------------

The ice blue water breaks around me as I resurface.

My lungs constrict then relaxes as I release the breath I'd been holding for the past five minutes or so.

Ah!

Flashing my hair to rid the excess water from between the knots, I place my hands on the cold concrete surface and hoist my body completely out of the pool.

My steps are heavy, leaving a trail of wet footprints behind me, and the wet shorts crunches as I make my way over to the row of chaise lounges and grab my towel.

The sun is still out in all its glory, decorating the overhead hills with a pretty yellow glow.

It's a beautiful day.

Perfect for a backyard poolside party.

If only it wasn't so fucking hot.

Even after being in the water for a solid fifteen minutes, my body still feels like I've been baking in an oven.

Damn.

Draping the towel over my head top, I pull the latch and slide the glass doors open.

The water drips from my soaked shorts onto the carpet as I dry my hair with the towel.

My mother would have a fit if she were here to see me getting the expensive carpet she bought me wet.

Good thing shi nuh deh yah. Wah eye nuh see, heart nuh leap.

The sound of the blender going off suddenly reminds me that I'm not home alone.

I can smell Ms. Lorna's pot from all the way out here; the aroma of whatever she's cooking carresing my nose with a sweet embrace.

If it's one thing I know, it's that that woman can cook.

Second to my mother, she's the best cook I know.

Like yuh eat from that many people.

I've eaten enough to know that she's one of the best. Go easy man!

When she'd asked to come in today, with the intention of skipping tomorrow due to an appointment she has, I had no objection.

Not when she being here would make up for my lack of company in this big ole house.

Plus, I'm not fighting the fact that I'll have a clean house and hot meal, the perfect Sunday dinner, to top it off.

Not that I couldn't cook it for myself. I just needed a change from the same old same old sometimes.

If you know what I mean.

Speaking of company, it wouldn't feel so lonely had some people not freak out on me this morning and bolt out of here.

What the fuck was that about anyway?

To think we were going good, then out of the blues, bam! things jumped from zero to one fucking hundred. Real fucking quickly.

I know it's not because of Jessica. Since she mentioned her before she called; she obviously knows that she exists.

Plus, it's not like I said anything suggestive to Jessica or anything.

So why was she so upset?

Whatever it was though had her deep in her feelings. She hardly said anything to me the entire drive to her boy toy's place.