28

Khan Estate, Ankara – 9th November 2015

MALIKA GAWKED AT THE MODERN STRUCTURE, high glass ceiling roof, artificial trees and the congested eating place. On the dirt-free wall, curved plasma screens announced the departure and arrival time of flights. Drivers attired in white shirt and trousers, stood behind the metal barrier holding a piece of paper where the passenger name and flight number were written in bold.

It's as if she has entered a classy building where a sea of anonymous faces is prevailing round the clock.

"I have to admit this airport is fancy. The other one can't be compared," she said, looping her arm around Zaeem's.

"Wait till you see Hong Kong or Singapore airport. They are some of the most modern in the world."

Seizing the opportunity for another trip, she asked, "You'll take me there?"

"Of course, we'll go to Disney Land, Peak Tower and visit Marina Bay as well."

Since they had no one waiting for them, Zaeem directed her towards the taxi stand where he hailed a black SUV. He handed the man his suitcase and both climbed in the back seat.

"Home sweet home," he huffed in relief as the car navigated through the familiar roads. "You sure you don't want anything to eat? I can tell him to stop at a fast food outlet. They are still open at this time."

"No thanks. I'm not famished. I've been having these scenarios in my head about your family's reaction. It's going to be dramatic, isn't it?"

"You can bet on it. If ever they prevent us to live in my own house, we'll leave for a hotel and the second thing I'll do next morning is buy us an apartment."

At this point, Malika no longer froze. Turning her eyes to the night life of Ankara, she laid her head against the window.

It took them a whole hour and a few minutes of moderate congestion before the car rolled to a stop in front of a huge wrought iron gate. On noticing Zaeem, a muscular guard waved and signaled his colleague to open it.

"Oh, it's happening."

Malika mumbled as the car drove straight towards an enormous Victorian style mansion where light were emerging from all its windows. In front of the driveway, cars that she had seen the royal family possessed were lined up next to each other.

The SUV taking its time stopped in adjacent of the dried fountain. Taking a deep breath, she stepped down handing Zaeem his bag. He paid the driver and handed it along with the suitcase to two attendants who rushed forward and greeted their master.

"What's everyone doing?" He asked.

"They are all in the living room sir, the children are playing and the elders are drinking tea, talking and..."