23

Forest of Wessam – 7th November 2015

FEAR HAS TWO MEANINGS; forget everything and run or face everything and rise. Well, such phrases sound majestic in movies because you can't be a hero towards a natural calamity. Your result will be imminent death if not lifelong handicapped. Malika chose what seemed wisest at the moment.

Run

She bolted straight toward the dry river's path. Her heartbeats quickened and the exhaustion of the fuss since the morning caught up to her. Layers of sweat have covered her skin, drenching her clothes little by little. The fifteen minutes cardio that she had been doing for the past few months in order to stay healthy were on the point of no use.

Her footsteps could not match Zaeem's speed nonetheless she did not give up. It would seem that either confinement or quick death would be her destiny even if a knight/criminal accompanied her in the journey of free will.

Behind her the poor maintenance of the closed dam caused the release of an uncontrolled amount of water that has been stored since a long time. The water swirled down sudden and rapid in an unquestionable swiftness, sprinkling on the men standing at the edge, pushing them with a great force at the exit of the secret passageway and dragged some of the unlucky ones in it.

It then followed the straight and zig zagged path of the dry land, conquering its territory back. The water tore down everything that stood in its way. Rather soon Zaeem and Malika got dragged with it. The current pulled them below and twirled their bodies to its own mysterious tune. Everything became a liquid blur in company of thousands bubbles of air.

Malika's hand attempted to grab something to hold onto but to no avail. The tide turned her in all degrees setting a panic in her hammering heart. Her head pounded, lungs screaming to get the required oxygen. She could not see the light to guide her out of the eternal darkness. When somehow in all of the underwater turmoil, his hand managed to grab hers, pulling her upwards. With an effort she did not realize she possessed, her head broke the surface of the cold water and inhaled a huge chunk of air, preventing her lungs from exploding in the nick of time.

"I got you."

Zaeem yelled, his arm extending to hold her soaked hand as tight possible while the other held onto a slippery boulder. Unlike her, he has managed to fight the tide despite the restrain appeared quite visible on his wet face.

The vivid hues of sun rays with few white clouds scattered around exposed the dangerous beauty of the dam that once snatched innocent lives.

"Don't you let go of me," Malika shouted, shaking her face to remove the stuck strands of hair which the severe wind eased.

"I won't."

"Have you ever gone river rafting Zaeem Khan?"

"Why do you ask?"