35

Azar Villa – 18thJanuary 2018

MYRA WOKE UP from a troubled sleep in her crumpled white abaya. Her hair fell in wild tangles down her shoulders and eyelids swollen as a matter of crying on her prayer mat almost all night long.

'Please grant me a chance to meet my sister.'

She had lost count of the amount of times she uttered those nine words. Sitting in the same position for hours had numbed her legs due to lack of blood flow. A tingling sensation soared senseless in different areas of her foot leaving her one choice. She tossed her scarf on her vanity table and lied on her bed where more tears dampened her pillow.

Rushing in the bathroom, she grabbed a clean towel and wet it with cold water. With gentle pressure, she dabbed it under her eyes. The swollen skin minimized. Yet it's not enough. It would catch her father's cop eyes.

After bathing and changing into dark jeans and tucked dark green sweater, she worked with concealer, light foundation, mascara, eyeliner and nude lipstick. Hair tied in a messy bun; she no longer looked like the broken girl from last night.

Myra smiled. She has learnt hiding her tears as good as her parents.

The commotion of the regular morning had already begun with them making breakfast, clanking the utensils pretty loud. Musa and Noorie are inseparable except they had no regards for others sensitive eardrums in the morning. Hence her brother never bothered putting an alarm in the first place to wake up on time for school.

"You are rather late today," Zaynoul snorted as she took her place beside him. An uncommon behavior never goes unnoticed in this household.

Noorie saved her by reminding, "She must be tired from yesterday's charity event, Zaynoul. Don't tease her."

Myra dropped her gaze and focused on filling her plate with hash browns and a black bean vegetable mixture. She had arrived home at half past one and lied to her mother about getting soaked in the rain leading to a minor sickness when the latter arrived at five thirty.

Mind jeopardized by the secret life of her sister, she avoided facing her own mother. Noorie would have been devastated on learning Niyah's weird behavior.

"I have something to announce."

The three elder Azar's eyes snapped on the little one faster than expected. Weird scenarios of her brother falling victim to drugs or gotten a girl pregnant roamed her mind.

"My school trip is in two weeks. We are going to Paris."

Her fork mishandled and dropped on the plate with such force that it echoed in the dining room. Frozen on the spot, her breath stuck in her lungs. The world gone on pause as a pin drop silence churned her insides with anxiety and excitement.