30

Khan Estate, Ankara – 10th November 2015

MALIKA SPRINTED TOWARDS the staircase. Her brother dashed for his life followed by an outraged Aryan Sheikh. For a split second, her heart stuck in her throat on hearing the sharp gunshot.

"No Kabir," she whispered, tears forming in her eyes.

Pumping her legs as fast as they could go, she stopped at the threshold of the vast room under construction in the empty building. Her brother perched on cardboard sheets holding his leg where bright red blood oozed.

"I'm giving you one last chance Kabir; tell me where she is."

Malika moved aside; her breathing strained and legs ready to give up as she stared at her agonizing brother.

"Just tell him Kabir," her voice came in pants, "Yasmin is his wife, you can't keep her away from him."

She'll do anything to save her brother. If Aryan can shoot him in the leg to weaken him, he can do much worse. However Kabir being stubborn and the rebel as always shook his head and laughed sarcastic and triumphant.

"You will never find her. She'll never belong to you." He spat on the ground.

"Last chance Kabir," Aryan roared, the gun firmer in his hand, targeting the wounded man's head.

"Kabir, please tell him for my sake," Malika pleaded, tears flowing down her cheeks like a deluge.

"I love you always little sister but I can't tell him. I loved Yasmin first, he snatched her from me." This time Kabir sobbed. "If she can't be mine, she won't be his as well."

"One way or another, I'll find my wife and as for you, farewell asshole."

Kabir did not have the time to move as the bullet pushed through the air at an incredible speed. It pierced the middle of his forehead forming a hole where dark red blood fell in a swoop and trickled down his nose.

"Kabiiiiiiirrr," Malika yelled, hands covering her ears.

It took a few seconds to notice that she sat on the round bed, drenched in sweat and staring right at one of the sisters-in-law's surprised face.

The dapper woman in a mustard yellow shirt tucked inside black suit pants, approached her bed and picked up the duvet that had fallen down. She placed it on Zaeem's side.

It's then Malika discerned that her missing husband had left the door of their room wide open.

Malika lowered her hands, heaving like she has been running forever and covered her naked legs with the duvet.