78

Wessam Castle –18th August 2018

MALIKA'S UNEXPECTED ARRIVAL rose eyebrows across the gathering. The Prince gawked at her a bit too much. He crossed his arms and parted his lips. Before he could speak, Marissa beat him to it.

"Malika, what a pleasant surprise," she greeted and hugged her.

Malika's arms went still for a moment before she touched Marissa's shoulders.

"I spoke with Zaeem right after dawn. He mentioned a fun day. I came to check it out."

"Oh, that's sweet of him. Come over, Zaeem. Don't make it awkward for us."

If the earth could swallow Zaeem, he would have departed with a Cheshire grin. Placing a hand in his pocket, he joined the group. Malika hugged him for less than two seconds and stepped back into her place.

"You could have told me you were coming," he sighed.

"It wouldn't be a surprise, then," Malika stated, smiling at Marissa.

"Well, I'm happy you joined us. Let's get you a drink," Marissa proposed.

Marcos interrupted, "Wait, you said the lion. How do you know what animal scares the prince?"

Smiling at the baffled Prince, she answered, "There can only be one King. Aryan here has always disliked the competition."

Marissa burst out laughing.

"I love your sense of humor, Malika. Everybody is aware of Aryan and Zaeem's business rivalry. Now he took his place as King. Ouch, no wonder, the lion scares you. There can be one King of the jungle."

Grabbing Malika's hand, Zaeem exclaimed, "Excuse me, everyone."

He pulled her away from the tent, striding toward the forest on the property. The verbal chaos happening behind them diminished with each step.

"Slow, this terrain is rugged," she complained.

Zaeem neither listened nor stopped until they were deep in the forest under the shade of an oak tree. He looked everywhere in case someone followed and let go of her hand.

"What are you doing here?" He asked.

"I came to visit you."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Are you mad at me?"

"Marissa just killed a man in front of everyone, okay."

Malika's face lost color. All of a sudden, the flowing breeze rose goosebumps on her sleeved arms. The cool shade under the tree became an open target.

"I'm sorry. It's more dangerous than I expected," she admitted.

"Please, don't come here again. If you need me, I'll visit you somewhere else."

She nodded.

"Will she be angry that you dragged me from-"

Zaeem shook his head and responded, "No, she'll assume I want some privacy with my wife. That's why I headed for the forest."

"I'm sorry, Zaeem. I hate to see you hurt."

"Me too, shall we leave?"

"Yes"

Before they could take a step, they caught Aryan striding toward them. The couple waited for him.

"What are you doing here?" Zaeem asked.

"Your second wife announced let's have lunch and continue the game afterward. She looked disappointed. I waited for her army to leave and slipped into the forest unnoticed."

"Why"

"Why did you say lion, Malika?" Aryan asked, staring at her face.

"Do I really need to spell it out for you?" The girl stated.

"What's going on?" Zaeem asked.

"Don't interrupt us," Malika ordered. "I cannot be clearer, Aryan. Your castle has ears and eyes."

"You met her," the prince muttered.

She nodded.

"She told you about the lion."

"She told me everything about it one day before the royal ball. We were and will become best friends."

Tears of happiness filled his eyes.

"I wish you good luck."

"Okay, will anyone of you clarify anything?" Zaeem demanded.

Holding her husband's hand, she claimed, "You're not the only one with secrets and for our own sake, let's keep them, secrets."

"You're confusing me."

"Aryan got the message. My job here is done."

Kissing her husband on his cheek, she smiled at Aryan and left.