66

Arcadia – 9th June 2018

AFTER INFORMING HER PARENTS, Myra headed towards Doughy Delights, a cake shop to treat her sweet tooth. She has walked by it several times, admiring the pink neon sign and the luscious French pastries through the window.

Some people would have takeaway while others would sit inside and relish with a cup of coffee or tea. She has made up her mind that no matter what she will have dessert for breakfast on this sunny Saturday morning.

Unlike Mirage Café, this one has patterned turquoise blue wallpaper on all sides. A bookshelf consisting of travel magazines, old newspapers and novels stacked in the left corner. Ten tables, each with either two or three chairs in the same turquoise colour though in velvet spread around.

One customer sat in the corner with an empty plate of pastry crumbles, a half filled glass of iced espresso and a worn out book cover which hid his face. Myra ignored him.

Rich aroma of coffee and pastry rose in the air as she walked to the coffee bar. She ordered a cappuccino, a lemon cream pie and two small chocolate eclairs. Settling on the other side of the shop, she enjoyed her sweet tooth along with a soft jazz playing in the background.

The man put the book down and drank. Her eyebrows furrowed as she took a big fork of the lemon pie. He grabbed his mobile phone and joined her.

"Seriously Kabir," she muttered, rolling her eyes.

"Niyah did not order me to follow you," he explained. "She just mentioned where you will be at this hour."

"Look at this place, what would have happened to me here?"

"Nothing bad of course except I'm not here as your bodyguard"

"Stalker," she teased.

"No, I have tracked your watch."

Myra stopped eating and demanded, "Where is it?"

"It's on a lower deck on the ship. Using Azar technology, I can track the exact place it's hidden."

"Niyah didn't –"

"It's a simple fetch task. That's why I approached you instead of bothering her. She already has a lot on her mind."

"Give me three minutes."

Myra went into the washroom to clean her mouth and hands after having breakfast. She applied a thin layer of pink gloss, swung the chained handle of her rose gold clutch bag across her shoulder and adjusted her midi dress.

Kabir pressed the last number in the elevator panel and it stopped at a floor with rooms on both sides of the corridor.

Checking his phone, he instructed, "We have to take stairs from here."