75

Wessam Castle –6th August 2018

MARISSA NEEDED at least a week to seize full control of the castle.

She paced around her bedroom, watching the door every few seconds. Myra has arrived today. One of her guards informed her that the doctor and nurse were setting up the room.

She rubbed the back of her crossed arms, biting her lower lip. Today is also the day she'll permit Zaeem to see her. Marissa stopped at the vintage dresser, gripping the edge. She closed her eyes, breath growing thin and ragged.

How many times has she already pictured a life where Zaeem and her were together since high school?

She gave birth. Zaeem stood by her side. Her mother and his large family came to the hospital with bouquets, plush bears, balloons, and decor. They celebrated, smiled, and laughed.

Zaeem sat on the bed, took the baby from her, and kissed her forehead. They called her Myra together and one of Zaeem's brothers clicked their first family picture.

Of course, it was an episode of teen parents.

People mocked and insulted them. With the Khan's influence and love, she turned a deaf ear to them. She stayed at their house while Zaeem continued high school. She missed school and Zaeem got catcalled every day. But the moment he returns home, taking Myra in his arms, everything turned peaceful.

His parents took good care of her. After seven months, they hired private tutors for her. She didn't mind lacking in her studies compared to teenagers of her age.

By the time they were eighteen, Myra was three years old or three and a few months old. They got married and moved to a new home. Life was not easy. Hardships knocked on every door yet they were happy.

"Marissa"

"Marissa"

Someone shook her arm. She turned and stared at Marcos' furrowed eyebrows.

"Marissa, are you okay? You zoned out."

She removed his hand and caught her reflection in the mirror. Her cheeks were tear-stained and her eyes were red. She didn't remember crying.

"I- why are you here?"

He stood straight and moistened his lips.

"I came to inform you that Myra's room is set."

"Where is Zaeem?"

"He's outside, sitting at the fountain. I'll call him."

"No, I need to do this," she stated, wiping her cheeks.

Marissa strode down the hallways with an immense headache. Tears blurred her vision. Her clicking heels grabbed all the attention. She walked by her sister and cousins, ignoring them like strangers, and exited the castle.